Mastering Physics: Tips for Success and Subject Selection in High School

• Thread starter ihopeican
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, the speaker is a high school student who has recently become interested in physics. They have achieved an A in their physics unit and are now considering studying physics, basic maths, and calculus in their second semester of Year 10. They are unsure if they are "bright enough" to become a physicist and are looking for advice and resources to improve their understanding of physics. They also ask for advice on which subjects to study in Year 11 to improve their skills in physics and maths.
ihopeican
Hello there,

Not too long ago, i have become very interested in physics, i think it was the end of year nine and I am just through half way of year 10. Our Physics unit is over now and i managed to get an (A) through an average of two quizzes(15% each) and a leveling assessment(70%). i got 70% overall, which was 1st in the class but only because i tried very hard.

Im not quite sure if I am bright enough to try to become a physicist, how did you know if you could succeed in physics?

I have to pick my second semester year 10 sciences soon and i really want to do physics, basic maths, and calculus.

They are quite tough and not sure what my chances are of achieving in them.

I was also wondering if there are any good information sources that anyone my happen to reccomend for getting a basic understanding on some physics (EG: Newtonian mechanics, quantum, optics, relitivity)

i already hyave a basic understanding in nuclear, Newtons laws, and optics. I would just really like to get a grasp on things before i go into second semester physics and year 11 physics.

sorry, one more thing out of this list what would help my skills in physics and maths, they are subjects on offer to study in year 11:

calculus- strong like
applicable maths-strong like
biology-average
human biology-average
chemistry-like
physics-strong like
literature
geography
politics
english
history
ancient history.

would there happen to be any advice on what to study?

really sorry for such a long post.

thankyou in advance, any guides or information for people new to physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
stop with the grades

Hello there,

Congratulations on your success in your physics class! It sounds like you have a strong interest in the subject and are willing to work hard to achieve your goals. I can tell you that passion and determination are key traits for success in any field, especially in physics.

It's normal to have doubts about your abilities, but don't let them discourage you. Physics is a challenging subject, but with hard work and dedication, anyone can succeed. In my experience, those who have a strong interest in the subject and a willingness to learn are the ones who excel in physics.

As for subject selection, it's great that you want to continue studying physics, basic maths, and calculus. These subjects are all closely related and will provide a strong foundation for further studies in physics. It's also important to have a well-rounded education, so I would recommend considering a mix of subjects from different areas, such as literature, geography, and history. These subjects can help develop critical thinking and communication skills, which are valuable in any field.

As for resources to help you understand physics better, there are plenty of online resources and textbooks available. I would recommend starting with the basics and building your understanding from there. Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics are all great online resources to start with. Also, don't hesitate to ask your teacher for recommendations or extra help if needed.

In terms of what to study in year 11, I would suggest focusing on physics and maths, as they are the most important subjects for a career in physics. But don't be afraid to also explore other subjects that interest you and may complement your studies in physics.

Remember, success in physics (and any field) is not just about being naturally gifted, but also about hard work, determination, and a love for learning. Keep pursuing your passion for physics and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Best of luck in your studies!

1. How can I succeed in mastering physics in high school?

To succeed in mastering physics in high school, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and problem-solving skills. Practice regularly and review your notes and textbook examples. Also, seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with any concepts.

2. What tips can you provide for mastering physics?

Some tips for mastering physics include actively participating in class, asking questions, and taking thorough notes. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and to practice regularly with different types of problems.

3. What is the importance of subject selection in high school for mastering physics?

The subjects you select in high school can greatly impact your success in mastering physics. Taking classes such as algebra, geometry, and calculus can provide a strong foundation for understanding the mathematical concepts in physics. Additionally, taking other science classes, such as chemistry and biology, can also help with understanding the scientific principles in physics.

4. How can I stay motivated while mastering physics?

To stay motivated while mastering physics, set achievable goals for yourself and reward yourself when you reach them. It can also be helpful to study with classmates or form a study group to keep each other accountable. Lastly, try to find real-world applications of the concepts you are learning to stay engaged and motivated.

5. How can I balance mastering physics with other high school classes and activities?

Balancing mastering physics with other high school classes and activities can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make a study schedule and stick to it, and don't be afraid to ask for help if you are feeling overwhelmed. It is also important to take breaks and make time for activities that you enjoy to avoid burnout.