Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High energy free electron and low energy photon collision

1. Aug 21, 2010 #1
    please feel free to correct me on any of this. is it possible for a high energy free electron to collide with a low energy photon? If so, what happens? And can this be replicated in a laboratory setting?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2010 #2
    Consider an electron at rest and a high energy photon colliding. It's the same process as the one you described, though viewed from two different reference frames. So, yes, it can happen. Nothing out of the ordinary happens. Your last question depends on whether you want the experiment done in a particular frame.

4. Aug 22, 2010 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Aug 22, 2010 #4
    this sounds like Compton effect to me. but i still dont understand why they would be the same.

6. Aug 22, 2010 #5
    In Compton scattering, the electron recoils, and the photon back-scatters. Each time the Lorentz frame changes from/to the lab frame to/from the electron rest frame, the photon gains energy by factor 2γ.

Bob S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook