1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Energy Muon scattering - 4-momentum

1. Jan 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Explain what the term "four-momentum transfer ##q##" is
    Show that for a high energy muon scattering at an angle ##\theta##, the value of ##q^2## is given approximately by;
    ##q^2=2E_iE_f(1-cos(\theta))##
    where ##E_i## and ##E_f## are the initial and final values of the muon's energy. State when this approximation is justified.
    2. Relevant equations
    ##\vec{p}=(p_1,p_2,p_3,iE)##
    3. The attempt at a solution
    The first part, four momentum transfer is just the momentum and energy lost/gained in a scattering process by the scattered particle?

And the second part, i know the approximation should be that ##E>>m## but i cant seem to work with 4-momentum.

What i tried to do was;
    ##q^2=(p_i-p_f)^2=|p_i|^2+|p_f|^2-2p_i\cdot p_f=|p_i|^2+|p_f|^2-E_iE_fcos(\theta)##
    and i assume somehow i need to get ##|p_i|^2+|p_f|^2=2E_iE_f## but im not sure how.

Would it be because the ##E>>m## then the ##p \approx E## but then that would just mean ##q^2=E_i^2+E_f^2-E_iE_fcos(\theta)##

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about the energy component in the dot product?

4. Jan 15, 2015 #3
    So,
    ##2p_i \cdot p_f=2((p_{i_x},p_{i_y},p_{i_z},iE_i) \cdot (p_{f_x},p_{f_y},p_{f_z},iE_f))=-2E_iE_f+2((p_{i_x},p_{i_y},p_{i_z}) \cdot (p_{f_x},p_{f_y},p_{f_z})##
    actually my momentum transfer would be this then;
    ##q^2=|p_i|^2+|p_f|^2+2E_iE_f-2((p_{i_x},p_{i_y},p_{i_z}) \cdot (p_{f_x},p_{f_y},p_{f_z})##
    ##q^2=|p_i|^2+|p_f|^2+2E_iE_f-2|{}^3p_i||{}^3p_f|cos(\theta)##
    The subscript before just to symbolize that they are three vectors not the 4 vectors? not sure how to show that.

then using my assumption that ##E \approx p## for ##E>>m##;

##q^2=|p_i|^2+|p_f|^2+2E_iE_f-2E_iE_fcos(\theta)##

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  5. Jan 15, 2015 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're not calculating the dot product of a 4-vector correctly. Try splitting the dot product into the energy component and the combined momentum components.

And remember that you're subtracting the two vectors and then taking the dot product of the result with itself.

6. Jan 16, 2015 #5
    I think i managed it, if you could just check my working!

##q^2=(p_i-p_f)\cdot(p_i-p_f)=(p_{i_x}-p_{f_x},p_{i_y}-p_{f_y},p_{i_z}-p_{f_z},i(E_i-E_f))\cdot(p_{i_x}-p_{f_x},p_{i_y}-p_{f_y},p_{i_z}-p_{f_z},i(E_i-E_f))##
    ##q^2=|p_i|^2+|p_f|^2-2p_i\cdot p_f-E_i^2-E_f^2+2E_iE_f##
    Now using my condition that if, ##E>>m## then ##p\approx E##;
    ##q^2=2E_iE_f-2p_i\cdot p_f##
    ##q^2=2E_iE_f-2E_iE_fcos(\theta)##

7. Jan 16, 2015 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you just needed to get the dot product sorted out.

8. Jan 16, 2015 #7
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted