High side driver/Low side driver

• Thread starter waltersobchak
  • Start date
In summary: Two...transistors if the supply voltage is between the logic voltage and the supply voltage. Three...transistors if the supply voltage is above the logic voltage and the supply voltage and between the logic voltage and the supply voltage. Four...transistors if the supply voltage is above the logic voltage and the supply voltage and between the logic voltage and the supply voltage and the supply voltage is above the logic voltage.
waltersobchak
I have to work with control units at my new job and I am not sure what something being driver high side versus low side mean? let's says we have a motor connected to a microcontroller unit. if one end +ve of the motor is connected to the controller and the other end of the motor is connected to ground, does that mean it is driven low side? would there be a voltage limitation is such a situation as it the controller can only give small voltage max, like say max 5 volts or maybe 9?

Engineering news on Phys.org
High side means there is a switch between the voltage source and the motor. Low side means there is a switch between the motor and it's ground.

waltersobchak said:
I am not sure what something being driver high side versus low side mean?
I suggest that is has to do with the ouput stage for a pwm-signal:

yNWTc.png

The signal must be pushed/pulled as high and low as possible to prevent losses.
Q1 and Q2 are IGBT-transistors and thus the Vbe must be at least 15V to turn the transistors fully on.
As for Q2 there is no problem, but say you want to raise the output voltage to 598V, you must raise VB(Q1) to 613V, but you have only 600V at disposal. That's why the driver ( here FAN7390 ) has been made, so that the 600V can be stepped up:

The capacitor CBOOT is charged with 15V when the output is low. When the output voltage is raised high ( to 398V ), pin 8 (VB) is raised to 613V, and this voltage is supplied to R1 through pin 7 (HO).

So the drivers as for Q1 and Q2 are not built in the same way. Therefore they are named high side and low side driver

Last edited:
meBigGuy said:
High side means there is a switch between the voltage source and the motor. Low side means there is a switch between the motor and it's ground.
I've seen the term used in audio speaker drivers with two transistors, one at each supply rail, driving a speaker.

I've never seen it defined, but rather taken from context.

Good point. I was envisioning a different circuit. I think you can pretty much always say High side connects to power, low side to ground (or negative supply).

I don't understand how a single high side switch is any more complex than a single low side switch. High side is a PMOS with S connected to supply, and a driver pulling the G to ground to turn the PFET on. Low side switch is NMOS with S to ground and a driver driving the G high to turn it on.

That's ignoring transient suppression, etc. Basically, either switch can be simple. Or either switch can be a "smart switch".

The smart driver you linked to is a smart high side switch. There are smart low side switches also. http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/siemens/BTS117.pdf

Not sure why you referenced a smart switch for high side only.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
meBigGuy said:
Not sure why you referenced a smart switch for high side only.
As I said, a low side driver is easy because the logic generally will interface directly to the driver (see figure).
upload_2015-7-27_18-37-9.png

As you remarked, a high side driver needs some sort of level translation between the logic and the power device.

Likes Hesch
Svein said:
As you remarked, a high side driver needs some sort of level translation between the logic and the power device.

Oh yeah --- 1 transistor if the supply voltage is above the logic voltage. That's really a lot more complex.</sarcasm off>
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHJDi5nRFRBkowv9OKpOeFFyr77EvesfUsHqQd0GXYV5NoL6oj.png

In the power circuits the actual gate driver is often isolated from the control side, by an opto for example, in this case getting the proper power to drive the gate of the High side switch (mosfet / igbt) is tricky and typically requires a bootstrap circuit since when the Top IGBT is "on" the gate is ~ at the +DC bus V. You will see this in Hesch's post #3 - but this is still using a separate 15V supply. So typically the High side is one that has some type of bootstrap capability, low side has a reference to the -DC bus. In larger power ( Est > 50A RMS) - a Dual driver module which includes a complete isolated power supply for the top and bottom is often used, as the larger IGBT prefer to be turned off to a negative voltage - this adds to cost of the driver significantly. Another function the High/Low side IC and Dual Driver will incorporate is Deadtime / shoot through protection - since this requires coordination of the gate signals for both the top and bottom switch.
One reference

If you will be working in Power Electronics - there is also PowerGuru.org

What is a high side driver and a low side driver?

A high side driver is a type of electronic circuit that is used to control the power flow to a device on the high side, or positive side, of a circuit. A low side driver, on the other hand, controls power flow to a device on the low side, or negative side, of a circuit.

What is the purpose of a high side driver and a low side driver?

The purpose of a high side driver and a low side driver is to switch the power supply to a device on or off, as well as to control the amount of power being delivered to the device. This is important in various applications, such as motor control, lighting control, and power supply switching.

What are some key differences between a high side driver and a low side driver?

One key difference between a high side driver and a low side driver is the placement of the driver in the circuit. A high side driver is placed on the positive side of the circuit, while a low side driver is placed on the negative side. Additionally, a high side driver requires a higher voltage supply compared to a low side driver.

What are some common uses for high side drivers and low side drivers?

High side drivers are commonly used in applications where a high voltage supply is needed, such as in automotive systems, industrial machinery, and power supplies. Low side drivers, on the other hand, are often used in applications where a lower voltage supply is needed, such as in LED lighting, small motors, and solenoids.

What are some important considerations when choosing a high side driver or a low side driver?

When choosing a high side driver or a low side driver, it is important to consider the voltage and current requirements of the device being controlled, as well as the input voltage and logic levels of the driver. Other factors to consider include the switching speed, thermal management, and protection features of the driver.