High side and Low side switching

• Thread starter Harrison G
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of PNP transistors for low side switches in order to avoid voltage drops caused by loads. The speaker also mentions the importance of constantly revisiting and strengthening one's knowledge in a field.
Harrison G
Hello! I just wanted to make sure i get this right. So we prefer to use pnp transistors for low side switch because since then we basicaly connect the load to the collector we don't have to worry that the load(say a dc motor) will influence the base voltage and by influence the base voltage i mean that the load will decrease the current and force us to use higher voltage or lower resistance. Something that is inevitable if you use an npn where a low side switch means to connect the load to the emitter. Is that right? To be clear we are talking about stuff that can cause a large voltage drop on them.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Likes Harrison G
Thank you for the links and excuse me if i made it a bit hard to understand :-D but i got it. I am now learning about Ic's, op amps and such and i felt the need to go back and fortify some old knowledge.

Harrison G said:
i felt the need to go back and fortify some old knowledge.

Yes that's the way to do it, constantly refine and improve one's understanding.
I look at any new field as a fog with just a few solid points in it. The focus improves as i learn more vocabulary and understand the ties between those "solid rock anchors".

"The Very Basics rule !"

old jim

Likes Harrison G

1. What is the difference between high side and low side switching?

High side switching refers to controlling the flow of current on the positive side of a circuit, while low side switching refers to controlling the flow of current on the negative side of a circuit.

2. When is high side switching preferred over low side switching?

High side switching is preferred in applications where the load is connected to the ground, as it allows for easier control and monitoring of the circuit. It also eliminates the risk of short circuits in case of a faulty component.

3. What are the advantages of low side switching?

Low side switching is more cost-effective and simpler to implement compared to high side switching. It also allows for easier isolation of the load from the circuit, which can be useful in certain applications.

4. What are some common methods of high side and low side switching?

Some common methods of high side switching include using a P-channel MOSFET or a high-side driver IC. Low side switching can be achieved using an N-channel MOSFET or a low-side driver IC, or by using a relay or a transistor.

5. What are some potential issues with high side and low side switching?

One potential issue with high side switching is the voltage drop across the circuit, which can affect the performance of the load. Low side switching can also cause issues if the load is connected to the ground, as it can create ground loops and introduce noise into the circuit.