Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High side and Low side switching

1. May 17, 2016 #1
    Hello! I just wanted to make sure i get this right. So we prefer to use pnp transistors for low side switch because since then we basicaly connect the load to the collector we dont have to worry that the load(say a dc motor) will influence the base voltage and by influence the base voltage i mean that the load will decrease the current and force us to use higher voltage or lower resistance. Something that is inevitable if you use an npn where a low side switch means to connect the load to the emitter. Is that right? To be clear we are talking about stuff that can cause a large voltage drop on them.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2016 #2

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. May 17, 2016 #3
    Thank you for the links and excuse me if i made it a bit hard to understand :-D but i got it. Im now learning about Ic's, op amps and such and i felt the need to go back and fortify some old knowledge.

5. May 17, 2016 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes that's the way to do it, constantly refine and improve one's understanding.
    I look at any new field as a fog with just a few solid points in it. The focus improves as i learn more vocabulary and understand the ties between those "solid rock anchors".

"The Very Basics rule !"

old jim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted