Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higher dimensions, quantum inflations, multiverses, and their interactions.

1. Oct 3, 2003 #1
    I am here to ask what anyone thinks on the concept of things beyond this universe, such as a multiverse, quantum inflations, or higher dimensionality. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2003 #2
    Welcome to the PFs, caumann! :smile:

You know, every one of these concepts could have it's own thread, but since they're all here, I'll post my personal opinion:

I think higher dimensions of space exist, but these would be within the Universe ("Universe" literally means "everything" or "all that exists", so there can be nothing "beyond" it in a literal sense). I'm personally a fan of M-Theory, so I think higher spacial dimensions are rather necessary.

Inflations may be occuring, but then there must be a broader framework of "empty" space, within which these inflations are occuring. I don't have any reason to believe that this is definitely not the case, but don't personally care for it much.

As to "Multiverse", I think it's an unnecessary add-on.

4. Oct 4, 2003 #3
    I should have said something earler. I used the phrase "universe" not as everything that is but rather a collection of matter in a certain location.

In response to the term "multiverse", I was describing the collection of "universes" that are possible given a particular set of physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?