Higher order linear equations- ODEs

In summary, the problem involves verifying that the given differential operator L[y] is linear by showing that it satisfies the properties of linearity. It also asks to show that if y1, y2, ..., yn are solutions of L[y] = 0, then any linear combination of these solutions is also a solution. This can be easily shown using the basic principles of differentiation.
Roni1985

Homework Statement

Verify that the differential operator defined by
L[y] = y(n) + p1(t)y(n−1) +· · ·+ pn(t)y

is a linear differential operator. That is, show that
L[c1y1+ c2 y2] = c1L[y1] + c2L[y2],

where y1 and y2 are n times differentiable functions and c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants.
Hence, show that if y1, y2, . . . , yn are solutions of L[y] = 0, then the linear combination c1y1+· · ·+cnyn is also a solution of L[y] = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I don't understand what I need to find.
What's the question here ?
First I need to verify that it's a linear differential operator.
Next, I need to show that
L[c1y1+ c2 y2] = c1L[y1] + c2L[y2]

and then, there is another part ?
does this question have three parts ?

I don't really understand how to approach this question.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Roni.

EDIT:

ohh, to show that it's a linear differential operator, I just need to show that this one is true:
L[c1y1+ c2 y2] = c1L[y1] + c2L[y2]

correct ?

now I'm trying to understand the second part of the question

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Roni1985 said:

Homework Statement

Verify that the differential operator defined by
L[y] = y(n) + p1(t)y(n−1) +· · ·+ pn(t)y

is a linear differential operator. That is, show that
L[c1y1+ c2 y2] = c1L[y1] + c2L[y2],

where y1 and y2 are n times differentiable functions and c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants.
Hence, show that if y1, y2, . . . , yn are solutions of L[y] = 0, then the linear combination c1y1+· · ·+cnyn is also a solution of L[y] = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What have you tried?

Mark44 said:
What have you tried?

Hello,

I edited my post...
I am still trying to understand the question...

There are two parts.
Show that L is a linear differential operator.
Show that if y1, y2, ..., yn are solutions of L[y] = 0, then any linear combination of the yi's is also a solution of L[y] = 0. IOW, show that L[c1y1 + c2y2 + ... + cnyn] = 0.

They're both pretty straightforward, especially if you keep in mind some fo the basic principles of differentiation; namely, (f + g)'(x) = f'(x)+ g'(x) and (cf)'(x) = cf'(x).

Mark44 said:
There are two parts.
Show that L is a linear differential operator.
Show that if y1, y2, ..., yn are solutions of L[y] = 0, then any linear combination of the yi's is also a solution of L[y] = 0. IOW, show that L[c1y1 + c2y2 + ... + cnyn] = 0.

They're both pretty straightforward, especially if you keep in mind some fo the basic principles of differentiation; namely, (f + g)'(x) = f'(x)+ g'(x) and (cf)'(x) = cf'(x).

oh right, I just had to read the definition :\

thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it.

Sure, you're welcome! A thank you goes a long way!

1. What is a higher order linear equation?

A higher order linear equation is a type of ordinary differential equation (ODE) that involves a dependent variable, its derivatives, and constants or coefficients. The order of the equation refers to the highest derivative present in the equation.

2. How are higher order linear equations solved?

Higher order linear equations can be solved using various techniques, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. These methods involve finding a particular solution and the general solution to the equation.

3. What is the role of initial conditions in solving higher order linear equations?

Initial conditions, also known as boundary conditions, are necessary in solving higher order linear equations because they help determine the constants or coefficients in the general solution. These conditions provide specific values for the dependent variable and its derivatives at a given point in the equation.

4. Can higher order linear equations have non-constant coefficients?

Yes, higher order linear equations can have non-constant coefficients. These types of equations are known as non-homogeneous equations and require different methods for solving compared to equations with constant coefficients.

5. What are the applications of higher order linear equations in science?

Higher order linear equations have numerous applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to model various physical phenomena, such as oscillations, electrical circuits, and motion of objects under external forces. They also play a crucial role in understanding systems with multiple variables and their interactions.