Highest possible AC frequency possible today?

In summary, the highest possible AC frequency that can be generated depends on various factors such as size, wavelength, and feedback. It is possible to generate frequencies up to 110 GHz using conventional microwave equipment and up to several hundred GHz using specialized circuits and structures. However, for frequencies above 30 GHz, a waveguide would be needed to minimize losses. Additionally, transmission lines can be used up to 100 GHz, but careful design and material selection is necessary to avoid excessive losses. Some research has also shown the transmission of 1 THz waves on twisted pairs. Ultimately, the highest achievable AC frequency is limited by the bottom of the Terahertz gap.
Jason White
What is the highest possible AC frequency being able to be generated. I don't care if this is usable in a circuit but as long as it can be physically made, what is the highest AC frequency possible? I've heard 70GHz was the max using an amplifier.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jason White said:
I've heard 70GHz was the max using an amplifier.
Well, if not the absolute max, you run into size trouble. At 70GHz, λ≈2.8mm on a wire. That means, of course, that λ/2≈1.4mm. Feedback is going to be very tricky...

Svein said:
Well, if not the absolute max, you run into size trouble. At 70GHz, λ≈2.8mm on a wire. That means, of course, that λ/2≈1.4mm. Feedback is going to be very tricky...

I'm a newbie with electrical engineering, i don't see why a wavelength would cause a problem with a wire. Can you go further into detail?

Jason White said:
Can you go further into detail?
When the signal has traveled λ/2, the phase has changed by π, which means that it has changed sign. Negative feedback has changed to positive & vice versa. Capacitive feedback from collector to base is usually negative, but after less than 2mm it turns positive - and you have an oscillator.

Svein said:
When the signal has traveled λ/2, the phase has changed by π, which means that it has changed sign. Negative feedback has changed to positive & vice versa. Capacitive feedback from collector to base is usually negative, but after less than 2mm it turns positive - and you have an oscillator.
So 2.8mm is more than 2mm? i are you saying the frequency would be zoo fast it would act as a DC current since it isn't an "Oscillator"

70GHz is low. The US was using 90GHz in gear in the early 90's

Mike_In_Plano said:
70GHz is low. The US was using 90GHz in gear in the early 90's
Ao I'm assuming they are in the tera hertz today?

It depends on what you mean by "AC". We can generate just about any frequency from DC up to gamma radiation.
There used to be a "gap" between microwaves (up at a few hundred GHz) and far infrared (above 1 THz) but that gap has been closed for a while, it is still a tricky frequency range to use in applications because the frequency is too high for conventional electrical transmission lines and too low for optical fibres. but it is possible and it is becoming more common (it is e.g. used in detectors, spectroscopy etc).

Btw, 70 GHz is not a very high frequency; you can buy "conventional" (albeit expensive) microwave equipment (generators, analyzers and so on) as well as cables etc. that work up to 110 GHz.

The limit to generation is really the bottom of what is called the Terahertz gap. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terahertz_gap

If we make a rule that the AC must be carried on a wire or transmission line then we are probably going to be restricted to about 30 GHz.
Beyond 30GHz a waveguide would be needed to keep losses down.

Above 25GHz, significant power can be generated by a gyrotron; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrotron

Baluncore said:
If we make a rule that the AC must be carried on a wire or transmission line then we are probably going to be restricted to about 30 GHz.
Beyond 30GHz a waveguide would be needed to keep losses down.
[

That depends on the size, you can get by using "wires" as long the dimensions are much smaller than the wavelength; and since we can now easily make structures that are only a few hundred nm in size this means we can go to very high frequencies. I've designed (simple) circuits that operated at about 150 GHz (a device integrated into a log-periodic antenna). There are simple electronic circuits (flip-flops) that operate at several hundred GHz (I believe the record is something like 350 GHz).

Also, standard transmission lines (say coplanar lines or microstrips) work well up to about 100 GHz or so, and these are routinely used; but of course you need to be increasingly careful about the design (impedance control) and choice of materials to avoid excessive losses. .

PS i have seen at least one paper where the authors demonstrated transmission of 1 THz wave on what was essentially a twisted pair.

Edit:
The application notes for the PNA VNA's on the Keysight website has some nice pictures of what a some of this equipment looks like

http://www.keysight.com/en/pd-19092...k-analyzer?nid=-536902643.958548&cc=GB&lc=eng

Last edited:

What is the highest AC frequency that can be achieved today?

The highest AC frequency that can be achieved today is approximately 10 terahertz (THz), or 10 trillion oscillations per second.

What is the purpose of achieving higher AC frequencies?

Higher AC frequencies are used in various applications such as wireless communication, medical imaging, and scientific research. They allow for faster data transmission, more precise imaging, and better understanding of physical phenomena.

What are the challenges in achieving higher AC frequencies?

One of the main challenges in achieving higher AC frequencies is the development of materials and components that can withstand and operate at these high frequencies without significant losses or damage. Another challenge is the design and implementation of efficient and reliable circuitry to generate and manipulate these high frequencies.

How does the AC frequency impact the performance of electronic devices?

The AC frequency has a direct impact on the speed and efficiency of electronic devices. Higher frequencies allow for faster data processing and transmission, while lower frequencies may result in slower and less accurate performance.

Is there a limit to how high the AC frequency can go?

Yes, there is a theoretical limit to how high the AC frequency can go, known as the plasma frequency. This limit is determined by the properties of the materials and components used in electronic devices and is currently estimated to be around 1 petahertz (PHz), or 1 quadrillion oscillations per second.