1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HiI know that for a short solenoid (L<R) the magnetic field at the

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    Hi

I know that for a short solenoid (L<R) the magnetic field at the axis is (standard EM)
    [tex]
    B(z) = \frac{1}{2}\mu_0 \frac{N}{L}I(\frac{z+\frac{L}{2}}{\sqrt{(z+L/2)^2+R^2}} - \frac{z-\frac{L}{2}}{\sqrt{(z-L/2)^2+R^2}})
    [/tex]
    where R is the radius of the solenoid, N the number of turns along the axis and L the length. In this system, each vertical plane consists of a single turn, but say I am looking at a solenoid, where each vertical plane consists of e.g. 2 turns. First I thought about using the above equation twice, but that is wrong since it is not 2 independent solenoids.

Is it correct to regard the system simply as a collection of coils with 2 turns each? I'm not quite sure how this would work out, since this way I can't take into account the widths of each individual coil. If my description is confusing, please let me know.

Best,
    Niles.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2

clem

Science Advisor

Re: Coils

Your formula is for a solenoid of any length, not just L<R.
    I don't understand what you mean be 'two turns'.
    Why would it make a difference?

4. Feb 3, 2012 #3
    Re: Coils

Hi, thanks for replying. I really appreciate it. What I mean by two turns is the following:

OOOOOO
    OOOOOO
    ------------ (axis of solenoid)
    OOOOOO
    OOOOOO

There I have a solenoid with 12 turns in total, i.e. a 6-turn solenoid on top of another (larger radii) 6-turn solenoid. How would one calculate the B-field for that? In principle I could just add the B-field for each one of the 12 turns, right? The reason why I am asking is because I am looking for the most general way to calculate this, because I would also have to look at e.g.

OOOO
    OOOOOO
    OOOOOOOO
    ---------------------- (axis)
    OOOOOOOO
    OOOOOO
    OOOO

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook