1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HiI've started a mechanics module and just wanted to know, what is

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    Hi

I've started a mechanics module and just wanted to know, what is the difference between Young's Modulus ('e') and the E = Stress/Strain?

Thanks!

Jase

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2009 #2
    Re: E

None :)

4. Jan 21, 2009 #3

I had a feeling that was going to be the answer.

One last question about 'E': is this the stiffness of the structure or is this a property of the material stiffness only?

Thanks!

5. Jan 21, 2009 #4

Depending on the type of structure, you would define stiffness with K = F/x, or an "effective" or "apparent" modulus.

In the case of the modulus, a "black box" would enclose your structure and you would determine the properties of that "box," e.g., the cross-sectional area of the box when calculating force/area = pressure.

6. Jan 22, 2009 #5

Thanks for your help. I've got it now.

7. Jan 22, 2009 #6

Strictly speaking E is tensile stress/ tensile strain.There is a shear modulus(shear stress/shear strain) and a bulk modulus(bulk stress/bulk strain).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?