Laboratory rocker mechanism: motor radius and pin location ratio

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 3K views
JohnSa
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi all

I have a question about this device in https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2948680/files. Where can I find more information/reading material about this type of mechanical movement (for example, what is the ratio between the motor circle radius, pin location and the table bearings).

I wish to print a smaller one but I do not know where to start.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, @JohnSa !

Do you need an specific output for the sample to be rocked?
Example: frequency, maximum angle, weight of sample, way to fix sample to platform, etc.
The one shown in your link has an electronic panel controlling the motor.
It seems that because of that, the frequency and duration of the oscillation can be programed.
 
I have a question about this laboratory rocker, mainly about the part in the image attached red ellipse. Is there a technical scheme and mathematical equations set that allows me to simulate it using Matlab/Python? By this set it will allow me to calculate a rocker in different sizes.

machLinkage.png


BTW: I am a programmer and keen 3D hobbyist and not an engineer so any help will be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
hsi100 said:
I have a question about this laboratory rocker, mainly about the part in the image attached red ellipse. Is there a technical scheme and mathematical equations set that allows me to simulate it using Matlab/Python? By this set it will allow me to calculate a rocker in different sizes.

View attachment 333991

BTW: I am a programmer and keen 3D hobbyist and not an engineer so any help will be appreciated.

If you have no experience I'd first check the link posted by @Baluncore at #3.
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

Start reading here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkage_(mechanical)

If you can post your required dimensions and the rocking angle limits, we can compute the length between the pins, and so the pin positions on the components.

The section "Planar one degree-of-freedom linkages" should be especially relevant.