What math background is needed for self-studying quantum mechanics?

In summary: Finally, physics itself is a good foundation for understanding quantum mechanics. You need to have a basic understanding of classical mechanics (mechanics of particles in a static field) and electromagnetism.
wizard85
Hi folk, I have intention to study quantum mechanics as self-educated and so not as exam material. In order to do that, I wold know which are fundamental mathematics knowledge that one should need? I've a bachelor degree in computer science engineering and so I already have knowledge about differential calculus, differential equation, complex number, probability calculus and knowledge in physics and in particular classic physics like mechanics, electromagnetism. Could you recommend some books?
Thanks in advance. :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
I've gone through introductory QM (book by Griffiths) and I would say that the core mathematical tools used are calculus (namely integration) and linear algebra.

Of course if you are going to go through the proofs in the book you will need to be somewhat familiar with math proofs in general. Many of the problems both in the book and on our homework revolved around doing integrations, be comfortable with substitutions/integration by parts/etc.

Differential equations will greatly increase your understanding of the material, however many of the problems do not directly need it. It shows up much more in the proofs themselves.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It provides a framework for understanding the fundamental principles of the universe at the microscopic level.

2. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics is used to describe the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. Quantum mechanics also incorporates the concept of wave-particle duality, where particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors.

3. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The more precisely one is known, the less precisely the other can be known. This principle is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and has significant implications for our understanding of the universe.

4. How is quantum mechanics applied in real-world technology?

Quantum mechanics has led to advancements in technology such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It is also being utilized in fields such as cryptography, quantum computing, and medical imaging. The principles of quantum mechanics have also been applied in developing new materials and improving communication systems.

5. What are some of the remaining mysteries in quantum mechanics?

Despite its many successes, quantum mechanics still has some unsolved mysteries, including the nature of dark matter and dark energy, the unification of quantum mechanics with general relativity, and the interpretation of the wave function. Scientists continue to explore and research these mysteries in order to deepen our understanding of the universe.