Direct and shear stresses acting on the outer surface of a hollow shaft

In summary: Just make sure you use a consistent sign convention for the bending moment and the axial load.In summary, the problem involves designing a high strength steel hollow shaft using Tresca yield criterion with a factor of safety of 1.5. The shaft has outer and inner diameters of 50mm and 40mm, respectively, and is subjected to a torque of 2.5kNm, an axial tensile load of 50kN offset by 15mm, and a bending moment of 3.6kNm. The solution involves separating the eccentric axial load into a bending moment and an on-axis load, calculating the stresses for each separately, and then adding them together to determine the resultant stresses at point A on the
janine

Homework Statement

High strength steel hollow shaft which can withstand complex stresses generated by a combo of loading conditions. Tresca yield criterion is to be used as the basis of design with a factor of safety of 1.5. Shaft is of 50mm and 40mm outer and inner diameters and is subjected to the following loading condition:
Torque: 2.5kNm about axis
An axial tensile load of 50kN offset vertically by e (15mm) from axis.
A bending moment of 3.6kNm acting on vertical plane containing cylinder axis and eccentric load line of action.
1) Determine the sizes of direct and shear stresses acting at point A on the outer surface of the shaft (right through the middle)and mark them on the element.

Homework Equations

for a hollow shaft I found these equations: J = pi (D^4 - d^4) / 32
tau max = Torque*radius / J, I = pi(D^4-d^4)/64

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't even get started because I got myself really confused as I was taught and examples I was shown in my lectures only focused on either stress transformation or yield criteria not both at the same time and especially not for hollow objects! I would really appreciate some help here as I've spent days on this and got no where.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi janine, welcome to PF. The best approach is to decouple the various parts of this problem. First off, you've got several loads that will superpose (i.e., you can add their contributions). For each, you should find the resulting stress state (normal and shear stresses) at point A. Do this one at a time, with a mechanics of materials book handy. Once you know the stress state at A, you can analyze it via the Tresca criterion.

It looks like you've got the torque load figured out. It will be helpful to decouple the eccentric axial load into an on-axis load and a bending moment. This should be described in any mechanics of materials book, along with ways of calculating the resulting stresses at point A. Does this make sense?

hey mapes, thanks for writing back, and sorry I've took so long to reply. I understand what you're saying and I bought a mechanics of materials book and I've had a look through and I've found somethings that you've pointed out. So I've got to separate the the eccentric axial loading into a bending moment and an on-axis load, then calculate the stresses on these separately and then add them together to get the resultant stresses?

Sounds good!

1. What is the difference between direct and shear stresses?

Direct stress is a force applied in a straight line to an object, causing it to deform in the direction of the force. Shear stress is a force applied parallel to the surface of an object, causing it to deform by sliding or tearing along the surface.

2. How are direct and shear stresses calculated for a hollow shaft?

Direct stress on the outer surface of a hollow shaft is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the shaft. Shear stress is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the shaft exposed to the force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of direct and shear stresses on a hollow shaft?

The magnitude of direct and shear stresses on a hollow shaft is affected by the magnitude of the applied force, the cross-sectional area of the shaft, and the material properties of the shaft such as its yield strength and modulus of elasticity.

4. How do direct and shear stresses affect the strength of a hollow shaft?

Direct and shear stresses can cause deformation or failure in a hollow shaft if they exceed the material's yield strength. The magnitude and distribution of these stresses can also affect the overall strength and durability of the shaft.

5. What are some common applications of hollow shafts and how do direct and shear stresses impact their design?

Hollow shafts are commonly used in various mechanical systems, such as power transmission and machinery components. The design of these shafts must take into consideration the magnitude and distribution of direct and shear stresses to ensure they can withstand the expected loads and operate safely and reliably.