Holy $#&@# it's hot and our AC is a yomamma

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Hot
In summary, the AC is not working and it is really hot. The filter is new and maybe the AC is just not working well after it reaches a certain temperature.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Is it normal for air conditioners to completely suck when you need them to not suck? It's 107 today and its been around 85-88 degrees up here where the air conditioner is. Do air conditioners just fail to work after it reaches a certain freaken temperature or something? Our filter is newly installed and its just god-awefully hot up here. What's going on? Should we call a air-conditioner repair face guy? Why is cyrus looking at this thread? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have an air conditioner. :cry:

Math Is Hard said:
I don't have an air conditioner. :cry:

Penguins need cooler air more then you humans

Yea you should call someone, it should be cooler then that.

Lately, it seems like the only thing I have that doesn't suck is the vacuum. :rolleyes:

107?! You're whining about 107 when I had to go run the track field today in 110 degrees with lots of humidity...you suck pengwuino

Pengwuino said:
Is it normal for air conditioners to completely suck when you need them to not suck? It's 107 today and its been around 85-88 degrees up here where the air conditioner is. Do air conditioners just fail to work after it reaches a certain freaken temperature or something? Our filter is newly installed and its just god-awefully hot up here. What's going on? Should we call a air-conditioner repair face guy? Why is cyrus looking at this thread? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Do the calculations penguin, what wattage is your air con rated at?
now work out the area it has to chill and the temp difference you want.
:rolleyes: elementary.

wolram said:
Do the calculations penguin, what wattage is your air con rated at?
now work out the area it has to chill and the temp difference you want.
:rolleyes: elementary.

Of course! I am a physicimizer!

Ok first... wattage of our air conditioner... unknown.
Cubic meters of air needed to be cooled...unknown.
Temperature i want the air to be cooled...unkonwn.

So!

xy^z=4. Solve for x.

NoTime said:
Lately, it seems like the only thing I have that doesn't suck is the vacuum. :rolleyes:

Then its time for a new Vaccum too!

It's supposed to hit 40 degrees on saturday...naturally I have to work that weekend. I work in a shop with no air conditioning and where we use steam cleaners a lot...it will be hell. We all nearly die when its 30 degrees out, I don't know how I will survive 40. I always get heat stroke at least 2x a year and i'll bet this weekend will be the first case.

scorpa said:
It's supposed to hit 40 degrees on saturday...naturally I have to work that weekend. I work in a shop with no air conditioning and where we use steam cleaners a lot...it will be hell. We all nearly die when its 30 degrees out, I don't know how I will survive 40. I always get heat stroke at least 2x a year and i'll bet this weekend will be the first case.

Suck it up and get an air conditioner.

When the air conditioner goes bonkers in our department, we cool our lab with liquid nitrogen!

:bugeye:
This time it's you who's brought yomamma to your own thread!
BTW, here's getting cooler these days!:-p

How long would it take to cook a penquin medium at 40c?

You need to knw the BTU's. Also, if it's central air, you need to make sure the vents are open in the rooms where you want it cool and close the vents in rooms you are not using. Also, the air ducts can be at such sharp angles that air flow is cut off significantly.

Most homes now days have at least two central air conditioning units, one for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. A single unit simply cannot handle high heat and humidity.

Pengwuino said:
Suck it up and get an air conditioner.

But I'm to poor :cry: And I would much rather complain about the situation than do something about it :-p

It's really meant for the upstairs... and the AC normally did its just up until this year and last year. I'll try to turn the vents off in the other rooms tomorrow.

Pengwuino said:
It's really meant for the upstairs... and the AC normally did its just up until this year and last year. I'll try to turn the vents off in the other rooms tomorrow.

What a trooper, a sure candidate for the boy scouts, i suggest some warm up exersizes before you tackle those vents, they can be tougth, 50 reps with a 10 gram weight each flipper to start

Gokul43201 said:
When the air conditioner goes bonkers in our department, we cool our lab with liquid nitrogen!
I used to decide that was a good time to do the experiments that required spending a day working in the walk-in refrigerator. I don't have any of those now, I have experiments that require holding onto a lot of very warm sheep. :cry: At least I'm not the one that has to wear the wool coat. :frown:

That's to baaaaad. :smile:

Damn, that lame...:rolleyes:

cyrusabdollahi said:
That's to baaaaad. :smile:

Damn, that lame...:rolleyes:

Very lame. You should be banned.

Reads note to self :biggrin:

scorpa said:
We all nearly die when its 30 degrees out
Jeez... it's 27 today and I'm wearing a sweater at work. I probably wouldn't need it outside in the sun, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Related to Holy $#&@# it's hot and our AC is a yomamma

1. Why is it so hot in here?

The high temperature inside your home is likely due to the lack of proper air conditioning. Without a functioning AC unit, the hot air from outside can easily enter and circulate throughout your living space.

2. How can I cool down my home without an AC unit?

There are a few ways to cool down your home without an AC unit. You can try opening windows and doors to let in a breeze, using fans to circulate air, and keeping blinds or curtains closed during the hottest parts of the day to block out sunlight.

3. Can I fix my AC unit myself?

It is not recommended to try to fix an AC unit yourself, especially if you are not trained or experienced in HVAC repair. Attempting to fix it yourself could cause more damage and end up costing you more money in the long run. It is best to call a professional for AC repair.

4. How often should I get my AC unit serviced?

It is recommended to get your AC unit serviced at least once a year. This will help ensure that it is running efficiently and catch any potential issues before they become bigger problems. Regular maintenance can also extend the lifespan of your AC unit.

5. Can I use a portable AC unit instead of a central AC unit?

While a portable AC unit may seem like a convenient option, it is not as effective as a central AC unit. Portable units are designed to cool small areas and may not be able to properly cool an entire home. They can also be more expensive to run in the long term. It is best to invest in a central AC unit for optimal cooling.