Hydraulic jack: plunger strokes to raise load 180mm

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
cps.13
Messages
40
Reaction score
1
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
Hi all,

I have this question in my HND...

A hydraulic jack has a load piston diameter of 150mm and a plunger diameter of 25mm.

a) Ignoring losses, calculate the force required on the plunger to raise a load of 2500Kg.

I have calculated my answer (correct or not i don't know) to be:

11.58Kg

a) Calculate how many strokes of the plunger will be required to raise the load by 180mm, if each stroke of the plunger is 100mm long.

I am stuck on this one, there is nothing about it in my learning material and I cannot find it online. To me the obvious is

180 / 100 = 1.8 but I'm positive this is wrong as its far, far too simple!

Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show how you worked out your answer to part a. I think the answer is wrong.
To the other part a, so far so good. But what have you found? And why?

As far as having no information about it, what do you know about hydraulic jacks? (Specifically, about static pressures, and about volumes?)