1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework help! Volume in water

1. Nov 2, 2004 #1
    :confused: A small sculpture made of brass (density = 8470 kg/m cubed) is believed to have a secret central cavity. The weight of the sculpture in air is 15.76N. When it is submerged in water, the weight is 13.86 N. What is the volume of the secret cavity?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What exactly have you tried so far?

4. Nov 2, 2004 #3
    I have just now started

5. Nov 2, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What property of the sculpture can you determine directly from the given data ?

6. Nov 2, 2004 #5
    I am assuming I have to find the amount of displacement -- 15.76 - 13.86 = 1.9

7. Nov 2, 2004 #6
    Oh, the density is = 8470

8. Nov 2, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Recall Archimedis ?

9. Nov 2, 2004 #8
    Fb= bouyant force = F2 - F1 = mg

10. Nov 5, 2004 #9

rcgldr

Homework Helper

What's in the secret cavity? Air, hydrogen, nothing, or maybe the other extreme, something just a bit lighter than water, like gasoline? This has to be known in order to answer the question.

11. Nov 5, 2004 #10
    If it went from being filled with air directly to being submerged in water, I'd imagine what's in the cavity is air.

Not to mention that it'd be a ridiculous question if one couldn't assume such.

--Justin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?