1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homogeneous Differential Equation

1. May 6, 2009 #1

Air

I read that the 'Homogeneous Differential Equation' is one which has form [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = f\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)[/tex] but I came across one example which was [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{x+y}{x+5y}[/tex] and said that is 'Homogeneous Differential Equation' Too which has 'x' and 'y' in both numerator and denominator. Does that mean that 'x' and 'y' exist in numerator and denomintor, then it's 'Homogeneous Differential Equation'?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If I remember correctly, the easiest way to see if an equation is homegenous is to add up the powers of the individual terms, and if they are all the same, then the equation is homogenous and y=Vx substitution can be used.

4. May 6, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it doesn't. The important thing here is that every term in both numerator and denominator has x or y to the same power. One test for homogeneous equations, that probably is in your text book, is to replace x and y by "ax" and "ay" respectively. If the "a" cancels out, then the equation is homogenous.
    That is, dy/dx= f(x,y) is "homogeneous" if f(ax,ay)= f(x,y). In your case,
    [tex]f(x,y)= \frac{x+ y}{x+ 5y}[/tex]
    [tex]f(ax,ay)= \frac{ax+ ay}{ax+ 5ay}= \frac{a(x+ y)}{a(x+ 5y}= \frac{x+ y}{x+ 5y}= f(x, y)[/tex]

That means the if you divide both numerator and denominator by x, you get
    [tex]dy/dx= \frac{1+ \frac{y}{x}}{1+ \frac{5y}{x}}[/tex]
    Now, the substitution [tex]u= y/x[/tex] leads to y= xu so dy/dx= x du/dx+ u and the equation becomes
    [tex]x du/dx+ u= \frac{1+ u}{1+ 5u}[/tex]
    so
    [tex]x du/dx= \frac{1+ u}{1+ 5u}- u= \frac{1+ u- u- 5u^2}{1+ 5u}= \frac{1- 5u^2}{1+ 5u}[/tex]
    a separable equation in x and u.

But
    [tex]dy/dx= \frac{y+ 1}{x- 2}[/tex]
    for example, is not homogeneous. (It is, by the way, separable.)

[tex]dy/dx= \frac{x+ y}{x+ y+ 1}[/tex]
    is neither homogenous nor separable.

5. May 6, 2009 #4

Air

The 'a' test, you can only put 'a' infront of 'x' and 'y' but not in front of the constant? Am I correct?

So...[tex]dy/dx= \frac{ay+ 1}{ax- 2}[/tex]

And Not...[tex]dy/dx= \frac{ay+ a1}{ax- a2}[/tex] which would lead to 'a' cancelling out.

6. May 6, 2009 #5

Cyosis

Homework Helper

The requirement is f(x,y)=f(ax,ay), so let f(x,y)=x+y+1, then f(ax,ay)=ax+ay+1. So you don't put a in front of terms, but you replace every x and y with ax and ay.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook