Homogenous differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving differential equations of the form $\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=f(x,y)$, where $f(x,y)$ is a homogeneous function. A homogeneous function is one that satisfies the property $f(tx,ty)=t^kf(x,y)$. The conversation also mentions that these types of equations can be transformed into a differential equation with separate variables by using the substitution $\frac{y}{x}=z(x)$. The conversation then presents an example of a differential equation and how it was attempted to be solved using this method, but it is later determined that the equation is not homogeneous of degree 0 and cannot be written in the form $\frac
etf
My book says:
"Differential equations of the form $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=f(x,y)$$, where $$f(x,y)$$ is homogenous function (function is homogenous if $$f(tx,ty)=t^k f(x,y)$$) can be written in form $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=F(\frac{y}{x})$$ and transformed to differential equation with separate variables using substitution $$\frac{y}{x}=z(x)$$."
Here is my differential equation and how I tried to solve it:
$$(x+y)^2 \frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=r^2$$
$$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=\frac{r^2}{(x+y)^2}$$
$$f(x,y)=\frac{r^2}{(x+y)^2}$$
$$\rightarrow f(tx,ty)=\frac{r^2}{(tx+ty)^2}=\frac{r^2}{(t(x+y))^2}=\frac{r^2}{t^2(x+y)^2}=t^{-2}\frac{r^2}{(x+y)^2}$$ so our function is homogenous and we can solve our diff. eq., according to my book, using substitution $$\frac{y}{x}=z(x)$$
$$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=\frac{r^2}{(x+y)^2}=\frac{r^2}{(x(1+\frac{y}{x}))^2}=\frac{r^2}{x^2(1+\frac{y}{x})^2}$$
Our equation now becomes $$z+x\frac{\mathrm{d} z}{\mathrm{d} x}=\frac{r^2}{x^2(1+z)^2}$$ but this is not diff. eq. with separate variables? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
etf said:
My book says:
"Differential equations of the form $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=f(x,y)$$, where $$f(x,y)$$ is homogenous function (function is homogenous if $$f(tx,ty)=t^k f(x,y)$$) can be written in form $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=F(\frac{y}{x})$$ and transformed to differential equation with separate variables using substitution $$\frac{y}{x}=z(x)$$."
This is incorrect. A differential equation is "homogeneous of order k" if [itex]f(tx, ty)= t^k f(x, y)[/itex]. A differential equation that is homogenous of order 0 can be written as a separable equation in the variable z= y/x.

$$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=\frac{r^2}{(x+y)^2}$$
$$f(x,y)=\frac{r^2}{(x+y)^2}$$
$$\rightarrow f(tx,ty)=\frac{r^2}{(tx+ty)^2}=\frac{r^2}{(t(x+y))^2}=\frac{r^2}{t^2(x+y)^2}=t^{-2}\frac{r^2}{(x+y)^2}$$ so our function is homogenous
No. "Homogeneous", with no adjective, means "homogeneous of degree 0". That is, f(tx, ty)= f(x, y) for any t. That is the condition that we can write the problem as a differential equation in z= y/x. Your equation is homogeneous of order -2 so cannot be written that way.

and we can solve our diff. eq., according to my book, using substitution $$\frac{y}{x}=z(x)$$
$$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=\frac{r^2}{(x+y)^2}=\frac{r^2}{(x(1+\frac{y}{x}))^2}=\frac{r^2}{x^2(1+\frac{y}{x})^2}$$
Our equation now becomes $$z+x\frac{\mathrm{d} z}{\mathrm{d} x}=\frac{r^2}{x^2(1+z)^2}$$ but this is not diff. eq. with separate variables? :confused:

Likes 1 person
Well, I am not that familiar with the theory, but you say yourself that you need to write your equation on the form
\begin{equation*}
\frac{dy}{dx} = F(\frac{y}{x}).
\end{equation*}
Does this seem doable?

That said, my first instinct would instead be to try the substitution ##u = x + y##.

Likes 1 person
etf said:
My book says:

And what is ##r^2##? Just any constant or does it happen to be ##x^2+y^2##? That would make your DE homogeneous.

Thanks for replies. I solved it using substitution x+y=z(x). Btw r^2 is constant.

What is a homogenous differential equation?

A homogenous differential equation is an equation that can be written in the form dy/dx = F(x,y), where F is a function of x and y only. In other words, the equation is "homogenous" because all terms contain x and y to the same power.

How is a homogenous differential equation solved?

To solve a homogenous differential equation, the first step is to rewrite it in a standard form by dividing both sides by dx. Next, substitute v = y/x and dy/dx = v + x(dv/dx) into the equation. This will convert the equation into a separable equation, which can then be solved using standard techniques.

What is the difference between a homogenous and non-homogenous differential equation?

The main difference between these two types of differential equations is the form of their solutions. Homogenous differential equations have solutions that can be expressed in terms of a single function, while non-homogenous differential equations have solutions that require multiple functions to be expressed.

Can a homogenous differential equation have a constant solution?

Yes, a homogenous differential equation can have a constant solution, but only if the right-hand side of the equation is equal to 0. In this case, the equation becomes dy/dx = 0, which has the solution y = C, where C is a constant.

What are some real-life applications of homogenous differential equations?

Homogenous differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model various phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. They are also used in the field of fluid dynamics to describe the behavior of fluids in motion.