1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homogenous differential equation

1. Aug 6, 2014 #1

etf

My book says:
    "Differential equations of the form $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=f(x,y)$$, where $$f(x,y)$$ is homogenous function (function is homogenous if $$f(tx,ty)=t^k f(x,y)$$) can be written in form $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=F(\frac{y}{x})$$ and transformed to differential equation with separate variables using substitution $$\frac{y}{x}=z(x)$$."
    Here is my differential equation and how I tried to solve it:
    $$(x+y)^2 \frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=r^2$$
    $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=\frac{r^2}{(x+y)^2}$$
    $$f(x,y)=\frac{r^2}{(x+y)^2}$$
    $$\rightarrow f(tx,ty)=\frac{r^2}{(tx+ty)^2}=\frac{r^2}{(t(x+y))^2}=\frac{r^2}{t^2(x+y)^2}=t^{-2}\frac{r^2}{(x+y)^2}$$ so our function is homogenous and we can solve our diff. eq., according to my book, using substitution $$\frac{y}{x}=z(x)$$
    $$\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=\frac{r^2}{(x+y)^2}=\frac{r^2}{(x(1+\frac{y}{x}))^2}=\frac{r^2}{x^2(1+\frac{y}{x})^2}$$
    Our equation now becomes $$z+x\frac{\mathrm{d} z}{\mathrm{d} x}=\frac{r^2}{x^2(1+z)^2}$$ but this is not diff. eq. with separate variables? :confused:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is incorrect. A differential equation is "homogeneous of order k" if [itex]f(tx, ty)= t^k f(x, y)[/itex]. A differential equation that is homogenous of order 0 can be written as a separable equation in the variable z= y/x.

No. "Homogeneous", with no adjective, means "homogeneous of degree 0". That is, f(tx, ty)= f(x, y) for any t. That is the condition that we can write the problem as a differential equation in z= y/x. Your equation is homogeneous of order -2 so cannot be written that way.

4. Aug 6, 2014 #3
    Well, I am not that familiar with the theory, but you say yourself that you need to write your equation on the form
    \begin{equation*}
    \frac{dy}{dx} = F(\frac{y}{x}).
    \end{equation*}
    Does this seem doable?

That said, my first instinct would instead be to try the substitution ##u = x + y##.

5. Aug 6, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And what is ##r^2##? Just any constant or does it happen to be ##x^2+y^2##? That would make your DE homogeneous.

6. Aug 6, 2014 #5

etf

Thanks for replies. I solved it using substitution x+y=z(x). Btw r^2 is constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted