1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homogeneous equation

1. Sep 14, 2004 #1
    (x^2 + y^2)dx + (2xy)dy = 0

I get y = sqrt((kx^5 + x^2)/3) Where k = c2 cubed, and c2 = ln(c) so k = 3ln(c)

But, the answer the teacher gave is (x^2)(y^3) - x - ln(y) = c I can't come up with anything remotely close. I know this isn't in a pretty LaTeX form, but I am new and haven't figured it out yet. Also, i'm not sure how to get my computer to read LaTeX, so if there is a program I need to d/l, can someone link me?

Any help would be great !
    A

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2004 #2
    just see the sticky thread on using tex basically you just put tex *forward slash* tex in square brackets around
    around equations and use *backward slash* sqrt instead of sqrt

QUOTE -
    [tex] x [\tex]
    [tex] (x^2 + y^2)dx + (2xy)dy = 0 [/tex]

I get [tex] y = \sqrt((kx^5 + x^2)/3) [/tex] Where k = c2 cubed, and c2 = ln(c) so k = 3ln(c)

But, the answer the teacher gave is [tex] (x^2)(y^3) - x - ln(y) = c [/tex] I can't come up with anything remotely close.

to answer your question I think it uses the method of exact differential equations just look it up on the web SOS would be a good start. However when I Use exact differential equations I get a totally different answer but it works when I sub things back in.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  4. Sep 15, 2004 #3
    Thats funny I have not had a problem with latex before. I will insert spaces to show the simple things I sometimes type and it still does not work

[ tex ] x [ /tex ]
    [tex] x [/tex]

5. Sep 15, 2004 #4
    i get a different answer from both of you

(x^2 + y^2)dx + (2xy)dy = 0
    Is an exact homogenous d.e.

So you take the anti-partial derivative in respect to y of your dy term:
    xy^2 + h(x).
    this is your solution, but you need to figure out what that left over function of x is

to do that you first take the partial of that in respect to x
    y^2 + h’(x).

you know this function must be equal to your dx term since the d.e. is exact. So…

y^2 + h’(x) = x^2 + y^2
    h’(x) = x^2
    anti-differentiate
    h(x) = (x^3)/3 + C

so your solution is
    xy^2 + (x^3)/3 = C

6. Sep 15, 2004 #5
    you have your slashes going the wrong dirrection in the [ \tex ]

7. Sep 15, 2004 #6
    That was the answer I got but did not mention. It is right because you can implicitly differentiate and get back to the original differential equation.

I thought you used backslashes in latex but to go into tex mode the standard VB code is to use a forward slash the same way as bold font colour ect.

*tries [ tex ] x [ \tex]*
    [tex] x [\tex]
    tries [ tex ] x [ /tex ]*
    [tex] x [/tex]

8. Sep 16, 2004 #7
    The spaces were there so it didn't think I was doing latex and not show you what I was trying to convey. Proper usage is (tex) (\tex) with ] [ instead of ) (

9. Sep 16, 2004 #8
    Funny how this thread says otherwise ;)

10. Sep 16, 2004 #9
    sorry, guess i got mixed up. But hey atleast i solved the d.e. right... :bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?