Homotopy and orientation preserving

• Thread starter robforsub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orientation
In summary, the problem states that if two diffeomorphisms are homotopic, then they are either both orientation-preserving or both orientation-reversing. To prove this, one can use the fact that the homotopy between the two maps can be chosen to be smooth and then apply Stokes' Theorem to show that the two maps must have the same orientation behavior. The definition of orientation behavior depends on the preferred top homology generator and the orientation form on the manifold.
robforsub
This is actually a problem from Lee's Introduction to smooth manifolds 14-21:
Let M and N be compact, connected, oriented, smooth manifolds. and suppose F,
G:M->N are diffeomorphisms. If F and G are homotopic, show that they are either
both orientation-preserving or both orientation-reversing.
The hint given in book suggests to use Whitney approximation and Stokes' Theorem
on MxI to prove, however I don't see how should I apply both theorems to solve the prob.

Physics news on Phys.org
it helps to know your definitions of orientation preserving and so on. I.e. the quick proof apparently using words you don't have, is that homotopic maps induce the same map on homology, and that determines orientation behavior according to whether the preferred top homology generator goes to the preferred one of the other manifold, or not.

orientation preserving is defined as if for each p in M, F_* takes the oriented bases of TpM to oriented bases of TF(p)N
And I don't think it requires to use homology related concepts to solve this problem

well your definition only make sense for differentiable maps whereas homotopy makes sense for continuous maps. Are your homotopies differentiable? i.e. what is the definition for a homotopy for you?

I think here the homotopy should be smooth as well, since both F and G are diffeomorphisms.

Here however, you will no doubt want to use the characterization of orientation preserving diffeomorphism according to which a diffeo is orientation preserving iff its pullback takes the orientation form to some positive multiple of the orientation form.

But I just don't see what's the point of using Whitney approximation theorem in this prob.

You must not assume that the homotopy between F and G is smooth.

But assume it is. Then can you do the problem? Let H be such a smooth homotopy between F and G, and let [itex]\Omega_N[/itex] be an orientation form on N. Compute the integral of [itex]H^*\Omega_N[/itex] on [itex]\partial(I\times M)=\{1\}\times M - \{0\}\times M[/itex].

For the general case, approximate H by a smooth homotopy H'. That is to say, by Whitney's approximation theorem, there exists a homotopy J: I x I x M between H and some smooth homotopy H'(t,x)=J(1,t,x). Since H is already smooth on the closed set [itex]A:=\{1\}\times M \cup \{0\}\times M[/itex], the homotopy J can be taken to be rel A, meaning in particular that H'(0,.)=F and H'(1,.)=G. So now you've reduced to the previous case.

Thanks for clarification on smooth homotopy part, then with smooth homotopy established, we just use Stokes's theorem, since any n-form on N representing orientation will be closed, since N is compact Hausdorff space, then d\Omega_N=0, which gives integral of F^*\Omega_N on M is equal to G^*\Omega_N on M, and since M is connected, then F and G must both preserve orientation or reverse it.

An orientation form is the smooth version of a generator of top cohomology (via deRham cohomology), and Stokes' theorem is the usual tool to show (smooth) homotopy invariance. So this is the smooth version of the same argument I gave.

I want to know whether homotopy analysis method (HAM) is a localize method or globalize method?
I also want to know how one expresses the nonlinear equation in terms of set of base functions in homotopy analysis method?
Is it true that in HAM we choose linear part of equation as a linear operator & convergence region of h cut can extend from -2 to 0.

IN homotopy analysis method how one can define the set of base functions? what is criterion on which we choose base functions?
IS HAM A LOCALIZE OR A GLOBALIZE METHOD?

robforsub said:
This is actually a problem from Lee's Introduction to smooth manifolds 14-21:
Let M and N be compact, connected, oriented, smooth manifolds. and suppose F,
G:M->N are diffeomorphisms. If F and G are homotopic, show that they are either
both orientation-preserving or both orientation-reversing.
The hint given in book suggests to use Whitney approximation and Stokes' Theorem
on MxI to prove, however I don't see how should I apply both theorems to solve the prob.

There are several proofs that rely on the theorem that the homotopy between the two maps can be chosen to be smooth. Once you agree with that then the proof depends upon which definition of orientation that you use.

Related to Homotopy and orientation preserving

1. What is homotopy?

Homotopy is a mathematical concept that refers to continuous deformations between two objects. In topology, it is used to study the properties of geometric shapes and spaces.

2. What does "orientation preserving" mean in the context of homotopy?

In homotopy, orientation preserving refers to a transformation or map that preserves the direction of orientation of an object. This means that the object remains the same shape and size, but may be rotated or reflected.

3. How are homotopy and topology related?

Homotopy is a fundamental concept in topology, as it allows for the study of topological invariants, such as connectedness and compactness, through continuous deformations. Topology uses homotopy to classify and distinguish between different types of spaces.

4. What is the significance of homotopy in mathematics?

Homotopy is a powerful tool in mathematics, as it allows for the study of geometric objects and spaces in a more abstract and general way. It has applications in various fields, including topology, algebraic geometry, and differential equations.

5. Can homotopy be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, homotopy has many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to model and solve real-world problems, including optimization, path planning, and shape recognition.