1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homotopy between identity and antipodal map

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1

jgens

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the identity map [itex]\mathrm{id}_{S^{2k+1}}[/itex] and the antipodal map [itex]-\mathrm{id}_{S^{2k+1}}[/itex] are smoothly homotopic.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt:
    Fix [itex]k \in \mathbb{Z}_{\geq 0}[/itex] and let [itex]\{e_i\}_{i=1}^{2k+2}[/itex] be the standard basis for [itex]\mathbb{R}^{2k+2}[/itex]. Define the map [itex]h:S^{2k+1} \times \mathbb{R} \rightarrow S^{2k+1}[/itex] by setting
    [tex]
    h:\left(\sum_{i=1}^{2k+2}x_ie_i,t\right) \mapsto \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}\left(x_{2i-1}\cos{\pi t}-x_{2i}\sin{\pi t}\right)e_{2i-1} + \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}\left(x_{2i-1}\sin{\pi t}+x_{2i}\cos{\pi t}\right)e_{2i}
    [/tex]
    This map satisfies [itex]h(x,0) = x[/itex] and [itex]h(x,1) = -x[/itex]. To complete the proof it only needs to be shown that [itex]h[/itex] is a smooth map.

Let [itex]B^{2k+1}[/itex] denote the open unit ball in [itex]\mathbb{R}^{2k+1}[/itex] and for each [itex]i \in \{1,\dots,2k+2\}[/itex] define the open hemispheres [itex]U_i^{\pm} = \{(x_1,\dots,x_{2k+2}) \in S^{2k+1}:\mathrm{sgn}(x_i) = \pm 1\}[/itex]. Define for each [itex]i \in \{1,\dots,2k+2\}[/itex] the maps [itex]\phi_i^{\pm}:U_i^{\pm} \rightarrow B^{2k+1}[/itex] such that [itex](x_1,\dots,x_{2k+2}) \mapsto (x_1,\dots,\hat{x_i},\dots,x_{2k+2})[/itex]. Then the collection [itex]\{(U_i^{\pm},\phi_i^{\pm})\}[/itex] is a smooth atlas for [itex]S^{2k+1}[/itex] and the collection [itex]\{(U_i^{\pm} \times \mathbb{R},\phi_i^{\pm} \times \mathrm{id}_{\mathbb{R}})\}[/itex] is a smooth atlas for [itex]S^{2k+1} \times \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Notice that for each [itex]i \in \{1,\dots,2k+2\}[/itex] a simple computation show that the local representation [itex]\phi_i^{\pm} \circ h \circ (\phi_i^{\pm} \times \mathrm{id}_{\mathbb{R}})^{-1}[/itex] is smooth. This establishes that [itex]h[/itex] is a smooth map and completes the proof.

My comments:
    So obviously there a some details missing, in particular, that the local representations are smooth. When I wrote it out, the formula was rather long, so I decided not to include it.That aside, here are my questions ...
    1) Does this work and if so is there a cleaner solution?
    2) If this works, is including the atlases for our manifolds necessary? I mean, strictly speaking, it certainly is as well as a computation that shows that the local representations are smooth. But for the purposes of this proof, I feel that including the atlases and defining the smooth local representations does little to help the presentation.

Edit:
    Thinking about the problem more, I am pretty sure that [itex]h[/itex] smooth follows directly from the fact that the mapping [itex]H:\mathbb{R}^{2k+2} \times \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^{2k+2}[/itex] given by
    [tex]
    H:\left(\sum_{i=1}^{2k+2}x_ie_i,t\right) \mapsto \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}\left(x_{2i-1}\cos{\pi t}-x_{2i}\sin{\pi t}\right)e_{2i-1} + \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}\left(x_{2i-1}\sin{\pi t}+x_{2i}\cos{\pi t}\right)e_{2i}
    [/tex]
    is clearly smooth. If my reasoning is right here, then I think this renders the whole defining atlases thing completely unnecessary.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are ok. id:R^2->R^2 is homotopic to -id:R^2->R^2. You just rotate the identity by pi to get -id. And that fixes the sphere S^1. It's clearly smooth. And as you showed in an even dimensional space you can just pick the basis vectors pairwise and do the same thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook