Homotopy between identity and antipodal map

In summary, the identity map and the antipodal map on a sphere of dimension 2k+1 are smoothly homotopic. This can be shown by defining a map h that smoothly transforms the identity map into the antipodal map, and then using the fact that a rotation of a smooth map is still smooth. This renders the use of atlases and local representations unnecessary.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that the identity map [itex]\mathrm{id}_{S^{2k+1}}[/itex] and the antipodal map [itex]-\mathrm{id}_{S^{2k+1}}[/itex] are smoothly homotopic.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt:
Fix [itex]k \in \mathbb{Z}_{\geq 0}[/itex] and let [itex]\{e_i\}_{i=1}^{2k+2}[/itex] be the standard basis for [itex]\mathbb{R}^{2k+2}[/itex]. Define the map [itex]h:S^{2k+1} \times \mathbb{R} \rightarrow S^{2k+1}[/itex] by setting
[tex]
h:\left(\sum_{i=1}^{2k+2}x_ie_i,t\right) \mapsto \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}\left(x_{2i-1}\cos{\pi t}-x_{2i}\sin{\pi t}\right)e_{2i-1} + \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}\left(x_{2i-1}\sin{\pi t}+x_{2i}\cos{\pi t}\right)e_{2i}
[/tex]
This map satisfies [itex]h(x,0) = x[/itex] and [itex]h(x,1) = -x[/itex]. To complete the proof it only needs to be shown that [itex]h[/itex] is a smooth map.

Let [itex]B^{2k+1}[/itex] denote the open unit ball in [itex]\mathbb{R}^{2k+1}[/itex] and for each [itex]i \in \{1,\dots,2k+2\}[/itex] define the open hemispheres [itex]U_i^{\pm} = \{(x_1,\dots,x_{2k+2}) \in S^{2k+1}:\mathrm{sgn}(x_i) = \pm 1\}[/itex]. Define for each [itex]i \in \{1,\dots,2k+2\}[/itex] the maps [itex]\phi_i^{\pm}:U_i^{\pm} \rightarrow B^{2k+1}[/itex] such that [itex](x_1,\dots,x_{2k+2}) \mapsto (x_1,\dots,\hat{x_i},\dots,x_{2k+2})[/itex]. Then the collection [itex]\{(U_i^{\pm},\phi_i^{\pm})\}[/itex] is a smooth atlas for [itex]S^{2k+1}[/itex] and the collection [itex]\{(U_i^{\pm} \times \mathbb{R},\phi_i^{\pm} \times \mathrm{id}_{\mathbb{R}})\}[/itex] is a smooth atlas for [itex]S^{2k+1} \times \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Notice that for each [itex]i \in \{1,\dots,2k+2\}[/itex] a simple computation show that the local representation [itex]\phi_i^{\pm} \circ h \circ (\phi_i^{\pm} \times \mathrm{id}_{\mathbb{R}})^{-1}[/itex] is smooth. This establishes that [itex]h[/itex] is a smooth map and completes the proof.My comments:
So obviously there a some details missing, in particular, that the local representations are smooth. When I wrote it out, the formula was rather long, so I decided not to include it.That aside, here are my questions ...
1) Does this work and if so is there a cleaner solution?
2) If this works, is including the atlases for our manifolds necessary? I mean, strictly speaking, it certainly is as well as a computation that shows that the local representations are smooth. But for the purposes of this proof, I feel that including the atlases and defining the smooth local representations does little to help the presentation.

Edit:
Thinking about the problem more, I am pretty sure that [itex]h[/itex] smooth follows directly from the fact that the mapping [itex]H:\mathbb{R}^{2k+2} \times \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^{2k+2}[/itex] given by
[tex]
H:\left(\sum_{i=1}^{2k+2}x_ie_i,t\right) \mapsto \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}\left(x_{2i-1}\cos{\pi t}-x_{2i}\sin{\pi t}\right)e_{2i-1} + \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}\left(x_{2i-1}\sin{\pi t}+x_{2i}\cos{\pi t}\right)e_{2i}
[/tex]
is clearly smooth. If my reasoning is right here, then I think this renders the whole defining atlases thing completely unnecessary.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are ok. id:R^2->R^2 is homotopic to -id:R^2->R^2. You just rotate the identity by pi to get -id. And that fixes the sphere S^1. It's clearly smooth. And as you showed in an even dimensional space you can just pick the basis vectors pairwise and do the same thing.

1. What is a homotopy?

A homotopy is a continuous deformation or transformation between two mathematical objects, such as functions or spaces. It is used to study the topological properties of these objects.

2. What is the identity map?

The identity map is a function that maps each element of a set to itself. In other words, it preserves the identity of the elements in the set.

3. What is the antipodal map?

The antipodal map is a function that maps each point on a sphere to its diametrically opposite point. In other words, it flips the sphere through its center point.

4. How are the identity map and antipodal map related?

The identity map and antipodal map are related because they are both continuous maps on a sphere, and they can be continuously deformed into each other through a homotopy. This means that these two maps share the same topological properties.

5. What is the significance of homotopy between identity and antipodal map?

The significance of this homotopy is that it shows that the identity and antipodal map are topologically equivalent on a sphere. This means that the sphere has certain symmetries that are preserved under continuous transformations, which can be useful in certain mathematical and scientific applications.