1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hooke's law and elastic deformation

1. Dec 21, 2016 #1
    spring1.JPG
    spring2.JPG

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that spring A shows elastic deformation since it returned to its original shape once the stress removed and spring c shows plastic deformation and has been permanently extended so it won't return to its original shape.

BUT, I'm struggling to complete the graph for spring C especially since they want it to continue from where the line of spring A ends.....Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2016 #2
    What are your ideas on how it looks?

4. Dec 21, 2016 #3
    i would have started by drawing a line above the current line since the original length for C is obviously longer than A but after that i'm not sure, but since it has been deformed plastically and permanently I guess I could draw a line curve showing this?

5. Dec 21, 2016 #4
    The 3 springs are identical, so the line for spring C must start out superimposed on the line for spring A.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted