1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal and vertical component for electric field

1. Sep 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At the video length 1:25 , why does the vertical component cancel out ?

At the video length 3:55 , why does the horizontal component cancel out?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't seem to understand this part very well for the vertical and horizontal component.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Symmetry. In the first case, you have a similar charge arrangement above and below the center, so their vertical effects cancel.

4. Sep 6, 2015 #3
    Does it mean that if the arc is 1/4 and not 1/2 , it will have both x and y component ? since there is no symmetry ? correct me if I am wrong

5. Sep 6, 2015 #4

Doc Al

I don't know what you mean. It's not the size of the arc, it's the symmetry.

6. Sep 6, 2015 #5
    upload_2015-9-6_23-49-22.png

What I mean is something like this? In this case , it will have both x and y component since there is no symmetry. Correct or ? am i wrong?

7. Sep 6, 2015 #6

Doc Al

The symmetry will be about a line from the point O to the center of the arc. Since that's not along the x or y axis, there will be an x and y component.

8. Sep 6, 2015 #7
    I see thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted