RMS Calculation for a Trigonometric Equation with Multiple Frequencies

• Thread starter jernobyl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rms
In summary: This is a standard 'trick' in integration. If you have an integral of the form \int f'(x) f(x) dx, you can use the substitution u=f(x). Then du=f'(x)dx. So the integral becomes \int u du = u^2/2 + C. When you substitute back your original variable, you get \frac 1 2 f^2(x) + C. In your case, f(x) = \sin(\omega t + \theta), so du = \omega \cos(\omega t + \theta) dt. Thus the integral becomes \omega \int \cos(\omega t + \theta) \sin(\omega t + \theta) dt
jernobyl

Homework Statement

Determine the RMS value over a period 2π/w (I can only assume this means between 0 and 2π/w) of the equation:

i = M.sin(wt + A) + N.sin(2wt + B)

Homework Equations

RMS is, I believe, the square root of 1 / b -a times the integral between b and a of the integrand squared.

Also I should mention because we're going to be dealing with sin² and cos² that in my course notes it's mentioned that to avoid dealing with squared trigonometry that sin²x should be first of all changed to 1/2(1-cos(2x)) and cos²x changed to 1/2(1+cos(2x))

The Attempt at a Solution

Well. I've been working for about three hours trying to do this darn thing.

Well, first of all I've got to remember that because of the RMS formula, I have to remember to multiply my end result by w/2π at the end, and then take the square root of my end result.

So first I tried expanding M.sin(wt + A) + N.sin(2wt + B) to (sinwtcosAcoswtsinA) and (sinwtcosBcoswtsinB)

Then of course I've got to square it before I can get to integrating, so I was ending up with something stupidly long like:

M²sin²wt.cos²A + Ncos²wt.sin²A + 2Nsinwt.cosA.coswt.sinA + N²sin²2wt.cos²B + N²cos²2wt.sin²B + 2Nsin2wtcosB

But then I'm thinking...right, I'm fairly sure I'm doing the wrong that and it should be quite as complex as that (it's about 6 times more difficult than the rest of the questions), so I must be making it more complex than it actually is.

So I try a different approach. Try making each bit into the form 1/2(1-cos(2x)) like my notes say.

So:

M.sin(wt + A) becomes M²/2.(1-cos(2wt + 2A))

and

N/2.sin(2wt + B) becomes N²/2.(1-cos4wt + 2B)

and we're left with the leftover terms

2MNsin(wt + A)sin(2wt + B)

But when I worked through that it just got ridiculously complex and again I was doubtful that I was going in the right direction at all.

I'm sure there's some way that this is all fabulously easy and I'm just not seeing it. Could someone please point me in the right direction?! :cry: Many thanks!

PS - for interest's sake, the answer is meant to come out as:

the square root of (M²+N²)/2

Apparently!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is wrong with squared trigonometry? The following identities might help:

[tex]\int\sin^2 x \, dx = \frac 1 2(x-\cos x \sin x)[/tex]

[tex]\int \sin(x) \sin(2x) \, dx = \frac 2 3 \sin^3 x[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I understand that absolutely, but as I'm sure you can appreciate, this was coursework from waaaay back this year, and as such we were only meant to use the methods we had been taught. And at that point we had only learned that to integrate squared trigonometry we were first supposed to rearrange it in the form 1/2(1±cos(2x)), so I'm trying to get round it that way. I know I'm being awkward, but that's the way I'm supposed to do it at this point...

I hope you understand I don't mean to turn down help, it's just I believe we were meant to do it in a certain way...

First, expand [itex](M\sin(\omega t + A) + N\sin(2\omega t + B))^2[/itex]:

[tex](M\sin(\omega t + A) + N\sin(2\omega t + B))^2 =
M^2\sin^2(\omega t + A) +
2MN\sin(\omega t + A)\sin(2\omega t + B) +
N^2\sin^2(2\omega t + B)[/tex]

Integrate the three terms separately. A change of variables will help to get rid of those nasty [itex]+A[/itex] and [itex]+B[/itex] terms in the sin2 integrals.

I assume "a period of 2n/w" means 2n cycles or [itex]4n\pi/\omega[/itex]. (if not, the posted answer is wrong). Assuming this, you should find that the sin2 integrals come out nice and easy. The trick is to show the cross term integrates to zero.

Last edited:
Okay...what did you mean by "a change of variables"? I didn't quite follow. Did you mean that you should change the sin² to 1/2(1-cos)?

As for "a period of 2n/w", it was 2pi/w in the problem...does that mean that it means 2pi cycles, or 4pi/w?

And, um, sorry, but what did you mean the cross term? IE the 2MNsin(wt+A)sin(2wt+B)?

Many thanks!

Hello...? :S

jernobyl said:
Okay...what did you mean by "a change of variables"?

There is an easy way and a hard way to attack an integral like

[tex]\int \sin(\omega t + \theta) dt[/tex]

The hard way is to expand [itex]\sin(\omega t + \theta)[/itex] and then integrate. The easy way is to change variables: [itex]x=\omega t + \theta[/itex]

[tex]\int \cos(\omega t + \theta) dt = \frac 1{\omega} \int \cos x dx = \frac {\sin x}{\omega} = \frac {sin(\omega t + \theta)}{\omega}[/tex]

I don't know if this is of any use to you, but there is an 'easy' way to do this, if you know some stuff already. f1=sin(wt+A) and f2=sin(nwt+B) for integer n>1 are orthogonal functions over the interval [0,2pi/w]. And the integral of each of their squares is 1/2. In vector space language, f1.f2=0 and f1.f1=f2.f2=1/2. So your given problem becomes sqrt((M*v1+N*v2).(M*v1+N*v2))=sqrt(M^2/2+N^2/2). Like I say, if you don't know any of this stuff it won't help you - but at least it explains why the answer is so simple.

D H said:
The easy way is to change variables: [itex]x=\omega t + \theta[/itex]

[tex]\int \cos(\omega t + \theta) dt = \frac 1{\omega} \int \cos x dx = \frac {\sin x}{\omega} = \frac {sin(\omega t + \theta)}{\omega}[/tex]

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but...if we're completely substituting [itex]\omega t + \theta[/itex] as x, then how come it goes to 1/w times the integral of cosx dx? Why isn't it just the integral of cosx dx? Why is there a w involved in the substituted version?

Last edited:
The substitution is [itex]x=\omega t + \theta[/itex]. Thus [itex]dx = \omega\,dt[/itex] or [itex]dt = 1/\omega\,dx[/itex].

So despite the fact that for ease, we're reducing [itex]\omega t + \theta[/itex] to just [itex]x[/itex], we're still remembering that there's an [itex]\omega[/itex] in there somewhere, therefore we have to add a factor of
[tex]\frac 1{\omega}[/tex]...?

Also, am I able to do the same thing for the sin(2wt + B) variables, just reduce them to, say, z or something?

Okay, to be honest guys, this is starting to drive me mental, I've been working on it for an hour and I've gotten absolutely no-where.

I've changed the variables and this is where I am. I don't even know if this is right.

Having substituted (wt + A) for a, and (2wt + B) for b:

[tex]\frac{\omega}{4\pi} \int_{0}^{\frac{4\i}{\omega}} M^2\sin^2 a + 2MN(\sin a)(\sin b) + M^2 \sin^2 b dt[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\omega}{4\pi} \int_{0}^{\frac{4\i}{\omega}} \frac{M^2}{2}(1-\cos 2a) + 2MN\sina \sinb + \frac{N^2}{2}(1-\cos 2b)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\omega}{4\pi} \int_{0}^{\frac{4\i}{\omega}} \frac{M^2}{2} - \frac{M^2}{2}\cos2a + 2MN\sina\sinb + \frac{N^2}{2} - \frac{N^2}{2}\cos2b[/tex]

Is that even right? If so, I know I have to integrate that but to be honest I haven't got a clue where to go from here. This really is driving me round the bend.

Last edited:
What are you integrating against (I don't see a dwhatever)? Omitting this is sloppy, will lead to errors, may even turn you into a physicist.

You have three terms to integrate with respect to time: [itex]M^2 \sin^2(\omega t + A)[/itex], [itex]2MN \sin (\omega t + A)\sin (2\omega t + B)[/itex], and [itex]N^2 \sin (2\omega t + B)[/itex].

Some hints:
  • Integrate the three terms separately, then combine the results at the end. Doing so will make the problem a lot less daunting.
  • Use integration by parts to solve the cross term ([itex]2MN \sin (\omega t + A)\sin (2\omega t + B)[/itex]) integral. A trick: integrate by parts twice.

There should be a dt at the end.

Okay, split it up into the threee terms and integrate. Fine.

What IS integration by parts?

1. What is Horrendous RMS problem?

Horrendous RMS problem is a term used in statistics to describe a situation where the root mean square (RMS) value is significantly higher than the arithmetic mean. It indicates that there is a large variation in the data, which can make it difficult to interpret and analyze.

2. What causes Horrendous RMS problem?

There are several factors that can contribute to the Horrendous RMS problem, including outliers, skewed data, and insufficient sample size. Outliers, or extreme values, can greatly affect the RMS value and make it much higher than the mean. Skewed data, where the majority of values are clustered towards one end, can also contribute to a high RMS value. Insufficient sample size can also lead to a Horrendous RMS problem, as a smaller sample may not accurately represent the entire population.

3. How does Horrendous RMS problem affect data analysis?

The Horrendous RMS problem can greatly affect data analysis by making it difficult to draw accurate conclusions from the data. The high RMS value can skew the results and make it challenging to identify patterns or trends in the data. It can also make it difficult to compare data sets, as the RMS value may be significantly different even if the mean is similar.

4. How can Horrendous RMS problem be addressed?

There are a few ways to address the Horrendous RMS problem. One approach is to identify and remove any outliers in the data. Another method is to transform the data, such as taking the logarithm or square root, to reduce the impact of extreme values. Additionally, increasing the sample size can help reduce the influence of random variations and provide a more accurate representation of the population.

5. Is Horrendous RMS problem always a bad thing?

Not necessarily. In some cases, a high RMS value can indicate that there is a large amount of variation in the data, which may be useful information. For example, in engineering, a high RMS value may indicate potential issues with a product's reliability or performance. However, in most cases, a Horrendous RMS problem can make it challenging to interpret and analyze the data, so it is generally seen as a negative issue in statistics.