1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hot Future Jobs

1. Jul 3, 2007 #1
    What top 5 future jobs do you think are going to rack in the money in the next 5 to 10 years? I'm guessing Biotechnology at top 3, and some type of computer job for the next 2.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2007 #2
    I'd always have finance up there. The baby boomers are retiring and you always need finance to do any large useful practical activity these days.

4. Jul 3, 2007 #3
    I would guess that any type of engineering that is involved in the production or design of alternative fuel sources will be getting big. If you were the engineer that, or perhaps just worked for the company on the project that invents the next big fuel source, I think you'd be financially secure

5. Jul 4, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are the manager, patent agent, lawyer or marketing dept for the company you would be OK - if you were the engineer you would probably be let-go when the invention moved from R+D to production.

6. Jul 4, 2007 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Marketing?

I hope you're joking.

7. Jul 4, 2007 #6
    Given a choice between a company with a great product and so-so marketing and a company with a so-so product but great marketing, the company with great marketing will win every single time.

This depresses my engineer's heart no end, but... that's reality.

There is a lot of $$$ in marketing too.

8. Jul 4, 2007 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We all know the above.

The reality sinks in when you actually TRY and get a marketing job. Marketing jobs pay dick squat when you start, and it's very difficult to move up. Why? There are thousands among thousands of people with marketing degrees and diplomas. Why? Just like the fashion and media industry, people love marketing because they want to make commercials and etc., so they get a marketing major with a dream. I had 3 friends that went into marketing. How many got a marketing job? Only one, the one with a degree in biochemistry! How much does it pay right now? Not much.

When someone says hot job, I assume available and a well paid entry salary. Marketing does not offer that.

Actually I have a fourth in marketing, but he went to university to now get a business degree on top of his marketing diploma. He has a job, but it pays minimum wage. He's suppose to get paid more, but they didn't get the "big" account. Hence, your pay varies a lot!

9. Jul 5, 2007 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to know why people go into marketing - go to a trade show / conference with marketing people and look at their expenses claims!

10. Jul 5, 2007 #9
    Maybe in 1995. . .

Beware fields that have been around long enough to be highly saturated, yet still have enough hype to keep the graduates coming.

11. Jul 5, 2007 #10

Defennder

Homework Helper

12. Jul 6, 2007 #11
    1) Biotechnology for designer gentic drugs
    2) Nanotechnology for materials - energy
    3) Robotics

Those are from Ray Kurzweil.

I say in addition

4) Web 3.0 and 4.0 technologies
    5) Private Space Industry

Note, even Bill Gates agrees with Robotics.

13. Jul 6, 2007 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd say Finance is up there.

I'm going into Finance and Accounting as a career and 3 we're in the top 20.

I think the future will see a bigger demand for International Business positions. Good thing I started learning Cantonese. :smile:

14. Jul 6, 2007 #13
    I agree with Jason on that too. I read last year via a IEEE notice I received (I think it was a notice) that learning a foreign language was the number 1 extra sought after thing for future engineers.

To that end, the Asian languages are sought after big time. Any dialect of Chinese is great. Japanese is also another powerful language. They're also very difficult to learn. I know, I've been studying 日本語 for a long time and I would say I still can't "speak it".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?