How a current passes through a wire?

In summary, the high school student is investigating the parameters that determine the angular velocity of a strong magnet in a homopolar motor. They are unsure of how a current passes through the magnet and wonder if it passes through or along the surface. They are unsure if an RbFeB magnet without electroplating is a conductor or insulator and suggest looking up its electrical properties or measuring its resistance to prove it.
Jia-Lun Wu

Homework Statement

I am a high school student of Taiwan. I'm investigating the parameters that determine the angular velocity of the strong magnet(RbFeB magnet) of the homopolar motor now.
like this→

And what beset me is that I don't know how a current passes through a strong magnet.
I know that the surface of a RbFeB magnet is electroplated with a layer of conductive and metal material.
I wonder if the current passes "through" the magnet or passes along the surface of the magnet. (I don't know how to prove it.)

Thanks for your help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if RbFeB (without the electroplating) is a conductor or insulator. If it is a conductor, the current passes through the magnet. If it is an insulator, the current passes along the surface. The way to "prove" it is (a) look up the electrical properties of RbFeB or (b) get a sample that is not electroplated and measure its resistance.

Hello, as a scientist, I can provide some insight into how a current passes through a wire. When an electric potential difference is applied to a wire, free electrons within the wire are able to move and flow in a particular direction. This movement of electrons is what we refer to as an electric current. In a metal wire, the movement of electrons is facilitated by the presence of free electrons within the metal's atomic structure. These electrons are able to move from one atom to another, creating a continuous flow of current.

Now, in regards to your question about how a current passes through a strong magnet, it is important to understand that a magnet itself does not generate or produce electricity. Rather, it can influence the flow of electrons within a wire. When a wire is placed within a magnetic field, the magnetic field can induce a current within the wire, causing the electrons to flow in a particular direction. This is known as electromagnetic induction.

In the case of your homopolar motor, the RbFeB magnet is likely being used to create a magnetic field that interacts with the wire, causing the wire to rotate and generate motion. The current is passing through the wire, but the magnet is influencing the direction and strength of the current.

In summary, a current passes through a wire when an electric potential difference is applied, causing free electrons to flow in a particular direction. A strong magnet can influence the flow of electrons within a wire through electromagnetic induction. I hope this helps with your investigation. Best of luck!

1. How does a current pass through a wire?

A current passes through a wire when there is a flow of electrons from a source of higher electrical potential to a source of lower electrical potential. This flow of electrons creates an electric field, which causes the electrons to move through the wire.

2. What factors affect the flow of current through a wire?

The flow of current through a wire is affected by several factors, including the material of the wire, its thickness, temperature, and the presence of any obstacles or resistance in the circuit.

3. Can a current flow through any type of wire?

Yes, a current can flow through any type of wire as long as it is made of a conductive material. However, the amount of current that can pass through the wire may vary depending on its properties.

4. What is the role of voltage in the flow of current through a wire?

Voltage is the driving force behind the flow of current through a wire. It creates an electric field that pushes the electrons from the source towards the lower potential, causing the current to flow.

5. How does a current pass through a wire without causing any damage?

A current can pass through a wire without causing damage because the wire is made of a material with low resistance, which allows the electrons to flow smoothly without generating excessive heat. Additionally, electrical circuits are designed to handle a specific amount of current, preventing any potential damage.