How a digital to analog converter works

In summary, the Lab-NB board is a digital to analog converter that is connected to the PC via USB. The Lab-NB board has configuration registers that allow the PC software to write digital data representing a single-ended or bipolar range to the board. The terminal block that is connected to the DAC card's output cable just makes it easier to probe the signals with an oscilloscope.
variable
can someone please explain how a digital to analog converter works if say your equipment includes a computer with a software like Labview, a Lab-NB board, a terminal block (USB) and an oscilloscope. what is each component doing and what is being transferred between them? thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you understand how a DAC works? If not, here's a tutorial on the R-2R DAC (as opposed to a binary-weighted DAC, which has some limitations):

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_13/3.html

National Instruments also has some good tutorials and articles about their boards. Check out this jump-off site:

http://zone.ni.com/zone/jsp/zone.jsp

Basically, to answer your question, the software on the PC writes to the DAC card to tell it what binary data it should convert into an analog voltage. The data transfers can happen in several different ways, but the simplest way to think about it is that the PC program writes a new data value to the card at each clock tick (whichever clock), and the DAC card drives the analog value for that data out at each clock tick. The PC software could write values out that made a sine wave at the analog output, for example. The DAC card typically has configuration registers that set whether the digital data represents a single-ended output voltage range (like 0V to 10V) or a bipolar range (like -5V to 5V).

The terminal block that is connected to the DAC card's output cable just makes it easier to probe the signals with an oscilloscope. In real applications of the DAC card, the cable connects to whatever circuit you want to drive the output analog waveforms into (like a speaker, or whatever).

Hope that helps. -Mike-

thanks, that really helps. just one follow-up question. does the board have the same function as the card? I've been trying to look through the manual for the board and it's several hundred pages long so haven't been too successful.

variable said:
thanks, that really helps. just one follow-up question. does the board have the same function as the card? I've been trying to look through the manual for the board and it's several hundred pages long so haven't been too successful.
Sorry, I read your question fast and assumed that you were using an NI DAC card (like one that plugs into the PCI bus in a PC). Is the Lab-NB board an external DAC module or something? I tried searching NI.com for Lab-NB but got no hits, so it's probably from some other DAC supplier? Does it use USB or GPIB or some other interface to the PC?

If the Lab-NB is the DAC module, then yes, what I said in reference to an internal DAC card in the PC applies similarly to an external module connected to the PC via some digital interface cable.

It's connected to the terminal block which uses USB and it's external. I think they are the same because I remember reading something about registers in the manual and the bipolar range, etc. Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:

1. What is a digital to analog converter (DAC)?

A digital to analog converter (DAC) is an electronic device that converts digital signals into analog signals. This allows digital devices, such as computers, to communicate with analog devices, such as speakers or monitors.

2. How does a digital to analog converter work?

A digital to analog converter works by taking a binary input (0s and 1s) and converting it into a continuous analog signal. This is achieved by using a combination of resistors, capacitors, and other electronic components to create a voltage output that corresponds to the digital input.

3. What is the purpose of a digital to analog converter?

The purpose of a digital to analog converter is to enable digital devices to communicate with analog devices. This is necessary because most digital devices only understand binary code, while many analog devices require continuous signals to function.

4. What are the different types of digital to analog converters?

There are several types of digital to analog converters, including binary-weighted, R-2R ladder, and delta-sigma. Each type uses a different method to convert digital signals into analog signals. The type of converter used depends on the application and the desired accuracy and speed of conversion.

5. What are the limitations of a digital to analog converter?

One limitation of a digital to analog converter is that it can only convert digital signals into analog signals. It cannot perform the reverse process, converting analog signals into digital signals. Additionally, the accuracy and speed of conversion can be affected by external factors such as noise and temperature.