How and where to begin with? Re-acquainting myself with physics.

• Thread starter nishant_c
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is interested in learning about the universe and astrophysics as a hobby. They ask for recommendations on where to start and the conversation suggests reading review papers on arxiv and two standard undergraduate astrophysics texts. The person mentions they are interested in theoretical aspects and will not be able to take classes, but will read books. They are then given the titles of two recommended textbooks.
nishant_c
Hi,

I am sorry if this is not a place to ask this question but it seemed like a right one to me.

I am Computer Science Engineer and hence since 2003 I haven't touched a Physics book. Even before that I never was interested in Physics as much I was interested in Mathematics and Computers. I did however always loved the idea of understanding the universe in terms of physics but not enough to pursue it anyways. But I now have the time to do so, not professionally but maybe just as a hobby.

So my question is, what exactly should I begin with so that I don't counter many problems while trying to understand the basics of universe and astrophysics. Keeping in mind that I have not even touched a Physics book in last 10 years and I never was much interested in Physics.

Again , I am sorry if this has been covered somewhere on this forum or this is a qrong place to post this question.

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Read the review papers on arxiv.

It depends on what you are trying to learn. If you just want to learn the run of the mill basic ideas that are popularized through books and popular shows, any of those will teach you. If you actually want to learn the details and the math behind everything, that is another story altogether.

I am definitely looking for something more. I am interested in Theoretical aspects of astrophysics. Probably looking for a book that' new grad students of astrophysics would read?

Your best bet is to take classes for it honestly. If not that I would suggest finding a college textbook.

Drakkith said:
Your best bet is to take classes for it honestly. If not that I would suggest finding a college textbook.
That is not feasible, I have a job and life that I can't give up for something I won't be doing professionally, but read books I can .
George Jones said:
Two standard undergraduate astrophysics texts:

Thanks a lot, will get them :)

1. How do I start re-acquainting myself with physics?

To begin re-acquainting yourself with physics, start by reviewing the basic concepts and principles. This can include topics like Newton's laws of motion, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. It's also helpful to brush up on mathematical skills, as physics heavily relies on mathematical equations and calculations. You can find free online resources such as videos, lectures, and practice problems to help you refresh your knowledge.

2. Where can I find resources to help me re-learn physics?

There are many resources available online to help you re-learn physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. You can also find textbooks and study guides at your local library or bookstore. Additionally, reaching out to your university or a local physics club may provide you with access to study groups or tutoring services.

3. Should I start with a specific branch of physics?

It's generally recommended to start with the fundamentals of classical mechanics before moving on to more advanced topics in other branches of physics. This will help you build a strong foundation for understanding the principles and concepts in other areas. However, if you have a specific interest or goal in mind, you may choose to focus on a particular branch of physics.

4. How can I make the learning process more enjoyable?

One way to make learning physics more enjoyable is to find real-world examples or applications of the concepts you are studying. This can help you see how physics is relevant and applicable to everyday life. Additionally, setting small goals and rewarding yourself for progress can help you stay motivated and engaged in the learning process.

5. Is it too late for me to re-learn physics?

It's never too late to re-learn physics! With dedication and persistence, anyone can grasp the fundamental concepts and principles of physics. It may take some extra effort and time, but the satisfaction of gaining a deeper understanding of the world around us makes it all worth it. So don't be discouraged, and keep pushing forward in your learning journey.