How and where to begin with? Re-acquainting myself with physics.

  • Thread starter Thread starter nishant_c
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
nishant_c
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I am sorry if this is not a place to ask this question but it seemed like a right one to me.

I am Computer Science Engineer and hence since 2003 I haven't touched a Physics book. Even before that I never was interested in Physics as much I was interested in Mathematics and Computers. I did however always loved the idea of understanding the universe in terms of physics but not enough to pursue it anyways. But I now have the time to do so, not professionally but maybe just as a hobby.

So my question is, what exactly should I begin with so that I don't counter many problems while trying to understand the basics of universe and astrophysics. Keeping in mind that I have not even touched a Physics book in last 10 years and I never was much interested in Physics.

Again , I am sorry if this has been covered somewhere on this forum or this is a qrong place to post this question.

Regards.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you are trying to learn. If you just want to learn the run of the mill basic ideas that are popularized through books and popular shows, any of those will teach you. If you actually want to learn the details and the math behind everything, that is another story altogether.
 
I am definitely looking for something more. I am interested in Theoretical aspects of astrophysics. Probably looking for a book that' new grad students of astrophysics would read?
 
Your best bet is to take classes for it honestly. If not that I would suggest finding a college textbook.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Drakkith said:
Your best bet is to take classes for it honestly. If not that I would suggest finding a college textbook.
That is not feasible, I have a job and life that I can't give up for something I won't be doing professionally, but read books I can .
George Jones said:
Two standard undergraduate astrophysics texts:

Thanks a lot, will get them :)