1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How and where to begin with? Re-acquainting myself with physics.

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I am sorry if this is not a place to ask this question but it seemed like a right one to me.

I am Computer Science Engineer and hence since 2003 I haven't touched a Physics book. Even before that I never was interested in Physics as much I was interested in Mathematics and Computers. I did however always loved the idea of understanding the universe in terms of physics but not enough to pursue it anyways. But I now have the time to do so, not professionally but maybe just as a hobby.

So my question is, what exactly should I begin with so that I don't counter many problems while trying to understand the basics of universe and astrophysics. Keeping in mind that I have not even touched a Physics book in last 10 years and I never was much interested in Physics.

Again , I am sorry if this has been covered somewhere on this forum or this is a qrong place to post this question.

Regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Read the review papers on arxiv.

4. Apr 8, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

It depends on what you are trying to learn. If you just want to learn the run of the mill basic ideas that are popularized through books and popular shows, any of those will teach you. If you actually want to learn the details and the math behind everything, that is another story altogether.

5. Apr 9, 2012 #4
    I am definitely looking for something more. I am interested in Theoretical aspects of astrophysics. Probably looking for a book that' new grad students of astrophysics would read?

6. Apr 9, 2012 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Your best bet is to take classes for it honestly. If not that I would suggest finding a college textbook.

7. Apr 9, 2012 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Apr 10, 2012 #7
    That is not feasible, I have a job and life that I can't give up for something I won't be doing professionally, but read books I can .
    Thanks a lot, will get them :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook