How are energy and work related?

• Thread starter teggenspiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Work
In summary, energy and work are closely related concepts. Potential and kinetic energy make up mechanical energy, with potential energy being the product of mass, gravity, and height, while kinetic energy applies to moving objects. Work is equal to the product of force, displacement, and the cosine of the angle between the force and displacement vectors. In the given problem, the net work done on a 5.0-kg brick to change its speed from 6.0 m/s to 10.0 m/s is equal to its net kinetic energy, which is found using the equation K_{net} = (v_{average})(\Delta v) m. This equation is derived from the work formula, assuming that the force and displacement vectors are
teggenspiller
how are energy and work related??

Homework Statement

so there is potential and kinetic energy, which together or separate make up mechanical energy. pe comes in two types, spring(elastic) and gravitational. potential energy=mass*grav*height. kinetic energy applies to objects who are moving. ke+1/2*m*v^2

okay, so that's all fine and dandy, i get that.
next, i have work. Work=force*displacement*cos(theta)-->angle between the force and the displacement vector.

but what happens when i have a question that asks me something such as
7. A 5.0-kg brick is moving horizontally at 6.0 m/s. In order to change its speed to 10.0 m/s, the net work done on the brick must be:

A. 40 J
B. 90 J
C. 160 J
D. 400 J
E. 550 J
Right Points Earned: 1/1
Your C

i infact, got it correct.
using knet=kfin-kin

however, the info they give me
m=5
v=6

vf=10
is good for finding the KINETIC ENERGY (refer to equations)

but they specifically ask for "net WORK"

i got it right by doing the only thing that made since, finding the net kinetic energy...

(2. Homework Equations )

so does this must mean the KE is closely related to WORK...

(3. The Attempt at a Solution )

but how?

Physics news on Phys.org

Take a look at the equation you used:

[tex]
K_{net} = K_f - K_i = \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv_i^2 = \frac{1}{2}m (v_f^2 - v_i^2) = \frac{1}{2}m(v_f - v_i)(v_f + v_i) = \frac{(v_f + v_i)}{2} (v_f - v_i) m [/tex]
[tex]K_{net} = (v_{average})(\Delta v) m
[/tex]

Note that:
[tex]v_{avg} = \frac{\Delta d}{\Delta t}[/tex]
and
[tex]a = \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t} \Rightarrow \Delta v = a \Delta t[/tex]

So,
[tex]K_{net} = (v_{average})(\Delta v) m = \frac{\Delta d}{\Delta t}(a \Delta t)m = (\Delta d)(ma) = F \Delta d [/tex]
[tex]K_{net} = W[/tex]

It may not be immediately obvious, but the equation you used is simply a derivation of the work formula, assuming that force applied is the same as the direction of motion, so that the work formula is just [tex]W = F \Delta d cos(0) = F \Delta d[/tex]. In this problem everything is in one line, so the displacement, velocity, acceleration, and force vectors are all parallel, so that is a fair assumption.

whooa!

I can explain the relationship between energy and work by first defining these terms. Energy is the ability of an object to do work, while work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. In simpler terms, energy is the potential to do work, and work is the actual action of using that energy.

In the given question, we can see that the brick has kinetic energy due to its motion. In order to change its speed, a force must be applied to the brick, which will result in the transfer of energy and thus, work being done. This work will change the brick's kinetic energy, allowing it to achieve the desired speed.

The equation for work, W = F * d * cos(theta), shows that work is directly proportional to force and displacement. This means that the more force applied to an object, the more work will be done on it. Similarly, the more distance an object is displaced, the more work will be done on it. In the context of the given question, the force applied to the brick will change its speed, thus changing its kinetic energy and the amount of work done on it.

In conclusion, energy and work are closely related as energy is required to do work, and work is the transfer of energy. In the given question, the change in kinetic energy of the brick is directly related to the work done on it to achieve the desired speed.

1. How is energy related to work?

Energy and work are closely related concepts in physics. Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object is moved in the direction of the force. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability to do work. In other words, work requires energy to be performed, and energy is expended when work is done.

2. What is the relationship between energy and power?

Energy and power are often used interchangeably in everyday language, but they have different meanings in physics. Energy is a measure of the ability to do work, while power is the rate at which work is done. In other words, power is the amount of energy used per unit of time.

3. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed; it can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

4. How are energy and work related to motion?

In physics, work is defined as the product of force and distance, while energy is the ability to do work. When an object is in motion, it has kinetic energy, which is the energy it possesses due to its motion. This kinetic energy can be used to do work, such as pushing or lifting an object.

5. How are energy and work related to potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration. This can include gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, and chemical potential energy. Work can be done to increase an object's potential energy, and this potential energy can then be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, to do work.