How big will the sun get when the seas begin to boil?

In summary, the Sun will increase its output by 40% over the next 3.6 billion years, at which point the Earth will become Venus. The Sun's color will not change, but the radius will increase by 18%. The end of life on Earth will come when the oceans dry up - loooong before the sun starts doing anything more dramatic.
Khantazm
First of all, I apologize if this is not the right place - it's my first post (although I've lurked for a while), so... er.

Doomsday question. I'd like to know how big the sun will get - visually (but please without °, I am not educated enough to understand those) - at the end of its life cycle at the moment when the seas on Earth begin to boil. And also how bright and what color the light will be, if possible.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
After some poking around, here's what I came up with as a rough estimate. In about 3.6 billion yrs the Sun will have slowly increased its output by ~40%, the seas will evaporate and Earth becomes another Venus. The radius of the Sun will have increased by ~18%. Its color will not appreciably changed.

Likes swampwiz
Thank you very much. Although, that's not much potential for drama, is it?:smile:

Khantazm said:
Thank you very much. Although, that's not much potential for drama, is it?:smile:

No, but at that point in time the Sun will not be a Red Giant yet. That will happen at approximately 5 billion years from now. It is expected that the diameter of the Sun will be 2 au, which means its radius will be about 1 au, so it will extend out to Earth's current orbit.

The apparent size of the Sun will increase from about 0.5 degrees (the apparent size that it is now) to about 90 degrees, an increase of over 200 times. So it will appear about 200 times as big as it does now.

Now that is assuming the Earth is still near 1 au from the center of the Sun. If we assume the Earth will get further away over time as the Sun loses mass, the Sun will appear slightly smaller.

Drakkith said:
No, but at that point in time the Sun will not be a Red Giant yet.

His last statement suggested to me that he's writing a story. The end of life on Earth will come when the oceans dry up - loooong before the sun starts doing anything more ... dramatic.

DaveC426913 said:
His last statement suggested to me that he's writing a story. The end of life on Earth will come when the oceans dry up - loooong before the sun starts doing anything more ... dramatic.

Hrmm. I could have swore I saw "Red Giant" somewhere in the post...my apologies.

1. How will the sun's size change when the seas begin to boil?

The sun's size will not change when the seas begin to boil. The sun is so massive that the boiling of our planet's seas will not have any significant impact on its size.

2. Will the sun eventually engulf the Earth when the seas boil?

No, the sun will not engulf the Earth when the seas boil. The sun's expansion is a gradual process that will take billions of years to reach its largest size. By that time, the Earth will have already been destroyed by the sun's increasing heat.

3. How big will the sun get when the seas begin to boil?

The sun will not significantly increase in size when the seas boil. It will expand gradually over billions of years until it becomes a red giant, engulfing the inner planets including the Earth.

4. What will happen to the Earth's oceans when the sun gets bigger?

As the sun expands, the Earth's oceans will evaporate due to the intense heat. This process will occur gradually over billions of years, causing the Earth's surface to become dry and uninhabitable.

5. Is there a way to prevent the sun from getting bigger and boiling the seas?

Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent the sun from expanding and eventually boiling the seas. It is a natural process that is necessary for the sun's survival. However, humans can take steps to mitigate the effects of climate change and potentially prolong the Earth's habitability.