How can an infinity series be less than infinity?

In summary, the space M is defined as a vector space of real numbers where the sum of the squares of its terms is finite. The question is to show that the function \langle{\{x_n\}, \{y_n\}}\rangle = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} x_n y_n is an inner product for M. This can be done by verifying the axioms for an inner product, such as symmetry, linearity, and positive definiteness. By satisfying these properties, the function can be considered an inner product on the space M.
Cauchy1789

Homework Statement

I have a space M which is a sequeces of real numbers [tex]\{x_n\}[/tex] where

[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} x_{n}^2 < \infty[/tex]

How can a series mentioned above be become than less than infinity??

Please explain :confused:

Sincerely
Cauchy

Physics news on Phys.org
Just because the series has infinitely many terms doesn't mean the sum of all those terms is infinite. For instance, if x_n = 1/2^(n/2), then we have:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x_n^2 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{2^{n/2}} \right)^2 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{1 - \frac{1}{2}} = 1[/tex]

You might want to do some reading on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_series"

Last edited by a moderator:
Citan Uzuki said:
Just because the series has infinitely many terms doesn't mean the sum of all those terms is infinite. For instance, if x_n = 1/2^(n/2), then we have:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x_n^2 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{2^{n/2}} \right)^2 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{1 - \frac{1}{2}} = 1[/tex]

You might want to do some reading on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_series"

Then my above series can be written as

[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} x_{n}^2 = \lim_{n \to \infty} \int_{1}^{n} x_{n} ^2 dx < \infty [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Cauchy1789 said:
Then my above series can be written as

[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} x_{n}^2 = \lim_{n \to \infty} \int_{1}^{n} x_{n} ^2 dx < \infty [/tex]
No.
That is completely nonsensical.

What were you trying to say?

arildno said:
No.
That is completely nonsensical.

What were you trying to say?

What I would simply like to understand is why a sequence of real numbers defined as in my original post can be less than infinity?

If M is a vectorspace is the "less than infinity" part because a Vectorspace is closed set?

What I would simply like to understand is why a sequence of real numbers defined as in my original post can be less than infinity?

It doesn't say that the sequence is less than infinity (and indeed, such a statement is nonsensical). It says that the sum of the squares of all the terms in the sequence is less than infinity. And I've already shown that there are sequences satisfying that requirement.

If M is a vectorspace is the "less than infinity" part because a Vectorspace is closed set?

No, the restriction on the sums of the squares is simply part of the definition of the vector space. It has nothing to do with whether the space is closed.

I get it now but anyway.

With the above then if I need to show that M has an inner product defined by

[tex]\langle{\{x_n\}, \{y_n\}}\rangle = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} x_n y_n[/tex]

So what I need to do here isn't to show since the Vector Space M is defined as

[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} x_n^2 < \infty[/tex] which is the sum of the squared real vector components of the space.

and then if the definition of the inner product applied gives

[tex]\langle{x_n, x_n}\rangle = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} x_n^2 [/tex]

then the inner product of two vector sequences of real numbers (if y is defined on M) is [tex]{\{x_n\}, \{y_n\}} = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} x_n y_n [/tex] ?

You are given a definition, namely that:

[tex]\langle \vec{x},\ \vec{y} \rangle = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x_ny_n[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{x} = \{x_n\}[/itex], and likewise [itex]\vec{y} = \{y_n\}[/itex]. What you need to do is show that this function is an inner product on M. Look up the definition of an inner product, and verify that this function satisfies that definition.

It's not clear to me what you are asked to show. Is it this:
Show that
is an inner product for M?

If that's the question, you need to verify that the axioms for an inner product hold; namely
symmetry-- [itex]\langle{\{x_n\}, \{y_n\}}\rangle = \langle{\{y_n\}, \{x_n\}}\rangle [/itex]
linearity in the first variable--[itex]\langle{\{a*x_n\}, \{y_n\}}\rangle = a\langle{\{x_n\}, \{y_n\}}\rangle [/itex],
and [itex]\langle{\{x_n\}, \{y_n\} + \{z_n\}}\rangle = \langle{\{x_n\}, \{y_n\}}\rangle + \langle{\{x_n\}, \{z_n\}}\rangle [/itex]
positive definiteness--[itex]\langle{\{x_n\}, \{x_n\}}\rangle > 0 [/itex]

For more information, see the wikipedia article titled "inner product space".

Cauchy1789 said:

Homework Statement

I have a space M which is a sequeces of real numbers [tex]\{x_n\}[/tex] where

[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} x_{n}^2 < \infty[/tex]

How can a series mentioned above be become than less than infinity??

Please explain :confused:

Sincerely
Cauchy
There are a couple of things going on here that you might not be clear on. The space M consists of sequences for which the sum of their squares is finite.

A sequence and its sum are two separate things. A sequence can converge even while the sum of its terms does not.

For example, the sequence {x_n} = {1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ..., 1/n, ...} converges to zero, but the infinite sum of all of its terms diverges (to infinity).

Mark44 said:
It's not clear to me what you are asked to show. Is it this:
Show that
is an inner product for M?

If that's the question, you need to verify that the axioms for an inner product hold; namely
symmetry-- [itex]\langle{\{x_n\}, \{y_n\}}\rangle = \langle{\{y_n\}, \{x_n\}}\rangle [/itex]
linearity in the first variable--[itex]\langle{\{a*x_n\}, \{y_n\}}\rangle = a\langle{\{x_n\}, \{y_n\}}\rangle [/itex],
and [itex]\langle{\{x_n\}, \{y_n\} + \{z_n\}}\rangle = \langle{\{x_n\}, \{y_n\}}\rangle + \langle{\{x_n\}, \{z_n\}}\rangle [/itex]
positive definiteness--[itex]\langle{\{x_n\}, \{x_n\}}\rangle > 0 [/itex]

For more information, see the wikipedia article titled "inner product space".

Yes with respect to the definition that M is Vector Space consisting of real numbers with

[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} x_n^2 < \infty[/tex]. This last part that means that the squared normed space on M is less than infinity? Thus the normed space is not infinitely large and then its possible to test the properties of the inner product on it?

This last part that means that the squared normed space on M is less than infinity? Thus the normed space is not infinitely large and then its possible to test the properties of the inner product on it?
No. This doesn't make any sense. We're not talking about the numeric value of a normed space, or how large geometrically it is, just whether your particular space M has an inner product. You have the definition of <{xn}, {yn}>. Now your job is to show that this inner product satisfies the three axioms I listed. If it does, then your space of infinite sequences is an inner product space.

Question.

Does all axioms of the product have to shown in context with the desired space M in order to show that the inner product and x and y satisfies the definition?

Last edited:
What course is this for? I would think that theorem "if {[itex]x_n[/itex]} and {[itex]y_n[/itex]} are "square summable" ([itex]\Sigma x_n^2[/itex] and [itex]\Sigma y_n^2[/itex] converge) then [itex]\Sigma x_ny_n[/itex] converges" would be in a fairly advanced course, perhaps "Functional Analysis" but you asking very elementary questions from calculus or precalculus.

1. How can a series with an infinite number of terms have a finite sum?

It is possible for an infinite series to have a finite sum if the terms in the series decrease in value at a fast enough rate. This is known as a convergent series, where the sum of the terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms approaches infinity.

2. Can an infinite series have a negative sum?

Yes, an infinite series can have a negative sum if the terms in the series alternate between positive and negative values. This type of series is known as an alternating series, and its sum can be calculated using the alternating series test.

3. Are there different types of infinity in series?

Yes, there are different types of infinity in series. The most common type is known as countably infinite, where the number of terms in the series can be counted and is equivalent to the set of natural numbers. There are also uncountably infinite series, where the number of terms is larger than the set of natural numbers.

4. Is it possible for an infinite series to have a value of zero?

Yes, it is possible for an infinite series to have a value of zero if the terms in the series cancel each other out. This type of series is known as a telescoping series, where each term cancels out the previous term, resulting in a sum of zero.

5. Can an infinite series have a non-numeric sum?

No, an infinite series must have a numeric sum. However, this sum can be a complex number or an irrational number, such as pi or e. The sum of an infinite series can also be expressed as a limit, rather than a specific number.