How can I add an end switch to carraige system

In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of a switch at the end of a carriage track to break the circuit when the carriage reaches a certain point. The speaker suggests using a big relay to operate the motor and a small switch with small wire to operate the relay. They also mention the possibility of using the relay as an emergency shutoff. The magnetic contactor can also function as a relay if wired in series with the down-range switch. The speaker also suggests extending the loop of the motor starter coil and adding more stop switches as needed.
epcole
I have a carraige being operated by a transmission drive on a 120v 3ph 2hp motor. I am using a magnetic contactor, followed by a reversing drum switch (a later addition when they didn't want to push the cart back after each run). Now they want to add a switch down by the end of the tracks to break the circuit when the carraige passes a certain point (in case the operator isn't paying attention). How can I do this? I thought about wiring it via the coil power but the switch needs to be almost 80ft away, which in both directions will be 160ft and will require a very big wire size to avoid the voltage drop. I wish all of these things were addressed when they designed the system instead of adding all of this now. Any idea how I can do this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A big relay to operate the motor, and a small switch with small wire to operate the relay? You could also use the relay as an emergency shutoff, which you didn't mention and is probably required by some OSHA factotum someplace.

You magnetic contactor should work as the relay if you wire whatever runs it in series with the down-range switch.

If the motor has a start-stop switch arrangement, just extent the loop to the end of your carriage system and add another stop switch (micro-switch perhaps). I would think the motor starter coil that is switched on or off operates at a low voltage?

Edit: If you are using a motor starter like this, you can string as many stop switches in the loop as needed.

[URL]http://www.exman.com/images/msa.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does an end switch work in a carriage system?

An end switch is a mechanical device that is used to detect when the carriage has reached the end of the track or rail. It is typically a small switch that is triggered by the movement of the carriage, sending a signal to the control system that the carriage has reached its limit.

2. Why is it important to have an end switch in a carriage system?

An end switch is important because it helps prevent the carriage from overrunning the track or rail. This can lead to damage to the carriage or the track, and can also cause safety hazards. The end switch ensures that the carriage stops at the designated end point, providing precision and safety in the system.

3. How can I add an end switch to my existing carriage system?

The process of adding an end switch will vary depending on the specific type of carriage system you have. In general, you will need to identify the end point of the track or rail and determine the appropriate location for the end switch. The end switch will need to be wired into the control system of the carriage, so you may need to consult the manufacturer's instructions or seek the help of a professional.

4. Are there different types of end switches for carriage systems?

Yes, there are various types of end switches available for carriage systems. The most common types include mechanical end switches, which use physical movement to trigger the switch, and proximity end switches, which use sensors to detect the presence or absence of the carriage at the end point. It is important to choose the right type of end switch for your specific carriage system.

5. Can I manually override the end switch in case of an emergency?

In most cases, it is not recommended to manually override the end switch in a carriage system. This could potentially damage the switch or the carriage and may also compromise the safety and precision of the system. If you encounter an emergency situation, it is best to stop the carriage and seek professional assistance.