1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I calculate forces on a vehicle frame?

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    I am working on an SAE Baja vehicle for a competition as part of my coursework requirements. Right now I am trying to come up with a method to estimate the forces that the frame will be subjected to. I need help doing this. I know that the top speed will be 30mph and that the vehicle will weigh 500lbs. To calculate the force of an impact I would also need to know the impulse or time of impact. I'm kind of stumped on where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Impulse time depends on the type of collisions and where it strikes - you presumably have bumpers and shock absorbers at strategic places?

A back-of-envelope approach would model the impact as a spring contact ... if you have actual springs then this should be easy otherwise you have to work something for the rigid frame bending/flexing. If the idea is to figure out what sort of shock-absorbers to include then you can just put in the spring constant (or however the absorbers get rated) as a variable in the calculation.

The kinetic energy of the impact has to be absorbed by the springs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook