How can i calculate the resistance of this electromagnet?

In summary, the conversation is about finding an estimate of the resistance caused by an electromagnet listed on eBay. The seller does not provide a datasheet, but it is mentioned that the electromagnet uses 5 watts and has a current of 0.42A, which can be used to calculate the resistance using the equation 5 watts = 12 volts^2 / Resistance or by dividing voltage by current using Ohm's law.
Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
It looks like the picture has some light words across it -- KIMKE something. Could that be the manufacturer? Otherwise, can you e-mail the seller and ask if they know, or if they have a datasheet?
The ebay post says the electromagnet uses 5 watts, can i plug that into the equation, 5 watts = 12 volts^2 / Resistance ??

radaballer said:
The ebay post says the electromagnet uses 5 watts, can i plug that into the equation, 5 watts = 12 volts^2 / Resistance ??

Yeah, good idea. :smile:

Current is listed as 0.42A in the specs. So you could also divide voltage by current (simple ohms law). Same result.

Related to How can i calculate the resistance of this electromagnet?

1. How do I calculate the resistance of an electromagnet?

The resistance of an electromagnet can be calculated using the formula R = ρl/A, where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, l is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

2. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms (Ω).

3. Can I calculate the resistance of an electromagnet without knowing the resistivity of the material?

No, the resistivity of the material is a crucial factor in calculating the resistance of an electromagnet. It is a measure of how strongly a material opposes the flow of electric current.

4. How does changing the length or cross-sectional area of the wire affect the resistance of an electromagnet?

As per Ohm's Law, increasing the length of the wire will increase the resistance, while increasing the cross-sectional area will decrease the resistance.

5. Is there a standard resistance value for electromagnets?

No, the resistance of an electromagnet can vary depending on factors such as the material used, wire length and thickness, and the number of turns in the coil. Therefore, there is no standard resistance value for electromagnets.