How can I create a weighted pulley system that is heavier on the way down?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
callumbrad128
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
This is going to seem a somewhat basic question to most people. However, I am trying to build a project where a weight on a pulley weighs 5kg on the way up but 8kg on the way down, then 5kg on the way up and 8kg on the way down, and so on... So its heavier on the way down. I was just wondering how a 'pulley system' would would to ensure this. Or if a pulley system would be the best/cheapest way. I really can't get my head round it. any help would be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ok basically i want a pully system which has a 5kg attatched to it on the way up. Then it reaches 'the top' and on the way down it weighs 8kg. So it somehow attaches to something at the top and once at the bottom, it detatches and weighs 5kg again and once at the top it attaches to something and weights more on the way down.. I was just thinking a pulley system would be cheapest but can't work out in my head how it would work. any suggestion would be much apppricated.
 
Well, an overshot water wheel does about what you want.