How can I detect whether driver is sitting in car or not?

In summary: It's possible to use IR cameras with facial recognition, but the technology is not very accurate yet.
rushi121
I want a device that can either stick on dashboard or like a key fob in driver pocket that will help to detect whether person is in car or not.

Requirements:
- Device must have a detector and siren. When detector detects that person is not in car should buzz siren.
- Can be a device in car or in person's pocket
- Low cost and small form factor

Solutions I can think of (please validate my understanding)
1. PIR Motion Sensor stuck on dashboard
- Cons: The person need to keep moving

2. Accelometer and Gyroscope
- Is it possible to detect whether person is walking using these sensors?

3. RFID?

4. Beacons?
- Cons: Need a phone?

What technology does smart keys for car use?

Engineering news on Phys.org
My car has pressure sensors in the seat to detect when someone is sitting. It can get very annoying if I put a bag in the passenger seat and get a beeping warning that the passenger seat belt is not buckled :mad:

Edit: Before anyone comments, yes, I know that it is dangerous to have heavy objects loose in the car.

DrClaude has a reasonable solution, a load cell in the seat would work. But you would have connect it to a recording device that would buzz when there is no load/weigh. Most modern cars use a similar technology to turn on and off passenger airbags. The problem would be finding the equipment that would "buzz" I suppose if you could find a recording device it could be rigged to buzz when the circuit on the load cell was open. You just need someone that knows something about electronics to build it.

Do you know that RFID is already used to detect if the car's key is nearby?

Micro-switches can also be used like load cells. A micro switch can connect 12 v to a buzzer with no additional electronics. But it needs to be in the seat, not on the dashboard.

My favorite was some car in the 90s. It had fingers to feel your fanny to identify who was sitting there. It used that information to set your personal profile suite of settings like radio stations, temperature, and seat position. It would be much simpler to do that today using your phone automatically connects to the car with Bluetooth.

Likes gjonesy
rushi121 said:
1. PIR Motion Sensor stuck on dashboard
- Cons: The person need to keep moving
The term "motion sensor" is somewhat obsolete: Google "occupancy sensor". Modern ones use other technologies such as ultrasonics, which can map out a room and detect occupancy without motion.

An IR camera with facial recognition?

Related to How can I detect whether driver is sitting in car or not?

What are the different methods for detecting whether a driver is sitting in a car or not?

There are several methods for detecting whether a driver is sitting in a car or not, including weight sensors, pressure sensors, ultrasound sensors, infrared sensors, and camera-based systems.

How does a weight sensor work to detect a driver's presence?

A weight sensor is typically placed in the driver's seat and measures the weight or pressure applied to the seat. When a person sits on the seat, their weight triggers the sensor, indicating that there is a driver present in the car.

Can a pressure sensor accurately detect whether a driver is sitting in a car?

Yes, a pressure sensor can also be used to detect a driver's presence in a car. These sensors measure the pressure applied to the seat, and when a person sits on the seat, their weight causes a change in pressure, which can be detected by the sensor.

What is an ultrasound sensor and how does it detect a driver in a car?

An ultrasound sensor emits high-frequency sound waves that bounce off objects and return to the sensor. When a person sits in a car, their body reflects these sound waves, and the sensor can detect the change, indicating the presence of a driver.

Are there any privacy concerns with using camera-based systems to detect a driver in a car?

Some people may have concerns about privacy when using camera-based systems to detect a driver in a car. However, these systems typically use infrared or thermal imaging to detect a person's body heat and do not capture or store any identifying information about the driver.