How Can I Improve the Design of a Lure Coursing Machine?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ccices
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Design Machine
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
ccices
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Lure coursing is where an electric motor pulls a string around a bunch of pulleys laid out in a field and dogs chase after the lure ties to the line. Most of the machines are home built with a 12 v car starter motor and solenoid and powered by car batteries. Yhis design has not seemed to change since the 70's.
I am looking for suggestions on motors and gearing to perhaps get some cheaper components together. The main thing is the motor runs for up to 10 mins at a time and numerous runs per day. The speed of the lure should be able to go up to 40 mph to keep ahead of the faster hounds. 12v car batteries or similar would be the power source as there usually isn't 120v available.
Any thoughts?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would suggest a BLDC motor with digital controller. They are variable speed, able to start from zero with no gearing needed. They can run from a 12V DC source such as a car battery.

A drum with suitable diameter driven by the motor should give you the 40 mph.

Sounds like fun.
 
I'm surprised that starter motors work for the job. They are designed for slow speed, very high current and short running times. They always used to use copper brushes so hardly suitable for other applications than starting car engines.
I would have thought that an electric winch motor would do the job well - with some suitable gearing to the drum that carries the line. They have all sorts of powers but https://www.red-winches.com/userfiles/downloads/153/MANUAL%20-%20OX%20MOTOR.PDF delivers 7hp - enough for your purpose, I would think.