How can I increase the suction power of my cordless vacuum broom?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
slee95
Messages
132
Reaction score
0
I was wondering about the how the suction works? I got this cordless vacuum broom for free and it has terrible suction. It runs on like 7 or 8 recharge c battery's and I was wondering if i increased the amperage or voltage would the motor run faster and have more suction?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would not recommend increasing the volts/amps past the design specs, this will likely cause the motor to have a reduced lifetime, and may actually be dangerous to you (electrocution, motor catching fire / bursting).

In terms of how these work, many of them are turbine based - i.e. a radial turbine. But there are many many variations as you can imagine.

In general I would say that you won't be able to fix it yourself. The parts may be very tight tolerance that you can't replicate without CNC machines.
 
slee95 said:
I got this cordless vacuum broom for free and it has terrible suction.

The clue is probably in the word "free". Designing and building an efficent compressor isn't easy. Probably the best you can hope for is that it produces a fairly high volume of air flow, not a high suction pressure with the inlet blocked.
 
So increased air flow to the motor should increase the suction of the vacuum?