How can I learn Physics and the necessary Mathematics?

In summary: It's a great way to get a firm foundation in physics before delving into more complex mathematics.I joined this forum recently in the hope that I could get advice on how to start learning Physics and the necessary Mathematics. I also joined in the hope that I could find some like minded people who are also curious about the world. As of now I have no idea about how I will start learning Physics. I have considered going through Khan Academy's courses ,but I doubt whether or not they are actually effective at teaching. I have not learned an ounce of Calculus yet ,or even some of the most basic concepts of Physics. I hope some of the like minded people out there could give me some advice about how to start learning Physics.Well tell
Vailanor
I joined this forum recently in the hope that I could get advice on how to start learning Physics and the necessary Mathematics. I also joined in the hope that I could find some like minded people who are also curious about the world. As of now I have no idea about how I will start learning Physics. I have considered going through Khan Academy's courses ,but I doubt whether or not they are actually effective at teaching. I have not learned an ounce of Calculus yet ,or even some of the most basic concepts of Physics. I hope some of the like minded people out there could give me some advice about how to start learning Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well tell us more about your background. What types of mathematics are you intimately familiar with and what types of aspirations do you have for your study of physics?

For example, are you quite comfortable with trig identities? Do you know anything about complex numbers or have any exposure to linear algebra? Do you have a background in statistics? Have you achieved a competence in senior high school "pre-calculus"? Any information is useful to us here.

Well I am in 8th Grade at the moment and I am pretty familiar with a good portion of Algebra, Geometry, and Arithmetic (To be honest I do need to review a lot of the concepts).I want to learn Physics because I find that it is one of the most fulfilling subjects that I can learn. I am intrigued by Physics and how it has evolved over the course of human history, but yet I do not even have a basic foundation in it. I do not want to rely on the school system to teach me Physics and other fields in science. At the moment I want to get a basic foundation in Physics and the Mathematics required.

I would strongly recommend that your main focus (but not only focus) be on achieving excellent grades in all your science and mathematics courses in school. Pay special attention to mathematics when in secondary school and take any stand-alone physics courses you can. Also study chemistry.

Apart from those obvious solutions, I would highly recommend you make friends with the following websites.

Simple English Wikipedia - http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Mainly for the science articles. Go click-crazy. Very few mathematics are involved and many of the science articles are written quite well and intelligibly for the layperson or the inexperienced.

Hyperphysics - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

This is a WONDERFUL website that I still consult as a senior physics major. It is a great resource for explaining basic concepts and even delves into not-so-basic stuff. You'll also find plenty of mathematics to chew on.

I would also advise you to get subscriptions to science magazines if you can afford them - Scientific American is a good one, or Physics World, or Physics Today. I'd also recommend to subscribe to Youtube channels like "Minute Physics", "Veritasium", "Numberphile", "Computerphile", "Periodic Videos", "Objectivity", "Sixty Symbols" and others that pique your interest. Also, read pop science books by people like Michael Green or Sean Carroll or Michio Kaku. Some of the greats even wrote not-so-technical books like Einstein's "Relativity" or Schrödinger's "What Is Life" or "My View of the World".

You could also stand to try your hand at high school level algebra/geometry/trigonometry by using Youtube judiciously.

Likes Loststudent22
Furthermore, be sure to read PhysicsForum every day, and start threads to ask questions and clarifications. The people here are extremely happy to help anyone who asks politely and with the intent to understand. PM me if you need more help or some more specific direction.

Thanks for the advice! I greatly appreciate it.

In addition to what has been mentioned in the previous replies, I strongly recommend a book called Conceptual Physics by Paul G. Hewitt. It's a very very sound physics book for beginners, and it hardly uses any math.

Last edited:

1. How do I develop a strong foundation in Physics and Mathematics?

In order to develop a strong foundation in Physics and Mathematics, it is important to start with the basics. This means understanding fundamental concepts and principles before moving on to more complex topics. It is also helpful to practice regularly and engage in problem-solving activities.

2. What is the best way to study Physics and Mathematics?

The best way to study Physics and Mathematics is to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, completing practice problems, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. It is also beneficial to work with a study group or seek help from a tutor if needed.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Physics and Mathematics?

To improve problem-solving skills in Physics and Mathematics, it is important to first understand the underlying concepts and principles. From there, practice regularly and work on a variety of problems to develop a strong problem-solving strategy. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps.

4. Are there any specific tips or tricks for learning Physics and Mathematics?

One helpful tip for learning Physics and Mathematics is to make connections between different concepts and topics. This can help to deepen understanding and make it easier to apply knowledge to new problems. Additionally, it can be beneficial to review material regularly rather than cramming for exams.

5. What resources are available for learning Physics and Mathematics?

There are many resources available for learning Physics and Mathematics, including textbooks, online tutorials and videos, practice problems and exams, and study groups or tutoring services. It is important to find the resources that work best for your learning style and utilize them regularly to improve understanding and retention of the material.