How can I maximize my points when rolling multiple dice with different options?

• MHB
  • Thread starter zweilinkehaende
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex Dice
In summary, the player is given x number of dice and has two options for scoring points: either by adding y additional dice and rerolling any 6s to potentially gain more points, or by rerolling any dice that do not show a 5 or 6. The optimal strategy for gaining the most points depends on the values of x and y, with the first method typically being more advantageous.
zweilinkehaende
Hi,

i was wondering how to calculate this problem:

Rolling a 5 or a 6 on a dice means you score a point. You are given x dices. You have 2 options: Either you add y dices to your dicepool and can roll dices that show a 6 again (still gaining a point) or you can reroll your dices not showing a 5 or 6.
At which values of y and x should i choose which method to gain the most points (on average).

I made multiple attempts but always failed because i could in theory score infinite points using the first method.

I hope i chose the right subforum.

Ty for your help.

PS.: Please excuse my poor english, it's not my first language.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
zweilinkehaende said:
Hi,

i was wondering how to calculate this problem:

Rolling a 5 or a 6 on a dice means you score a point. You are given x dices. You have 2 options: Either you add y dices to your dicepool and can roll dices that show a 6 again (still gaining a point) or you can reroll your dices not showing a 5 or 6.
At which values of y and x should i choose which method to gain the most points (on average).

I made multiple attempts but always failed because i could in theory score infinite points using the first method.

I hope i chose the right subforum.

Ty for your help.

PS.: Please excuse my poor english, it's not my first language.

Hi zweilinkehaende! Welcome to MHB! :)

If you can only score points and not lose them, adding an infinite number of dice will indeed gain you an infinite number of points.

Is there perhaps a condition that you lose points?
Perhaps you lose a point if you roll 1-4?

zweilinkehaende,

I am not sure I understand the rules. Here is what I think you are saying. Please let us know if this is correct or not.

Positive integers $x$ and $y$ are fixed in advance. You have two options:

1. Roll $x$ dice, then re-roll any that do not come up 5 or 6. Your score is the total numbers of 5s and 6s.
OR
2. Roll $x+y$ dice, then re-roll any that come up 6. Your score is the total numbers of 5s and 6s, including the dice that came up 6 on the first roll.

Is this a correct interpretation?

If so, in the first option the expected number of 5s or 6s on the first role is $ (2/6) x$. The expected number of 5s or 6s on the second role is $(2/6) (x - (2/6)x) = (8/36) x$. So the expected total score is $(2/6) x + (8/36)x = (5/9) x$.

In the second option, the expected number of 5s on the first role is $(1/6) (x+y)$, and the expected number of 6s is also $(1/6)(x+y)$. The expected number of 5s or 6s on the second role is $(2/6)(1/6)(x+y)$. So the expected total score is $((2)(1/6)(x+y) + (2/6)(1/6)(x+y) = (7/18)(x+y)$.

I like Serena said:
Hi zweilinkehaende! Welcome to MHB! :)

If you can only score points and not lose them, adding an infinite number of dice will indeed gain you an infinite number of points.

Is there perhaps a condition that you lose points?
Perhaps you lose a point if you roll 1-4?

No there is no condition under which points are lost. I'm searching for the optimal strategy depending on the x and y values. For example if x is 60 and y is 1:
Strategy 1 (adding y and rerolling 6s) would give me approximatly 24 on average. (61*1/3 + 2/6*1/6*61 + 2/6*1/6*1/6*61+...)
Strategy 2 (rerolling 1-4s) would give me approximatly 33 (60*1/3+(60-(60*1/3))*1/3= 33.33).

Obviously i would choose Strategy 2 in this case. But how do i calculate when to switch strategies? (with x and y values reversed it would be quite obvious)

The player doesn't get to choose the x or y values, only strategies.

awkward said:
zweilinkehaende,

I am not sure I understand the rules. Here is what I think you are saying. Please let us know if this is correct or not.

Positive integers $x$ and $y$ are fixed in advance. You have two options:

1. Roll $x$ dice, then re-roll any that do not come up 5 or 6. Your score is the total numbers of 5s and 6s.
OR
2. Roll $x+y$ dice, then re-roll any that come up 6. Your score is the total numbers of 5s and 6s, including the dice that came up 6 on the first roll.

Is this a correct interpretation?

If so, in the first option the expected number of 5s or 6s on the first role is $ (2/6) x$. The expected number of 5s or 6s on the second role is $(2/6) (x - (2/6)x) = (8/36) x$. So the expected total score is $(2/6) x + (8/36)x = (5/9) x$.

In the second option, the expected number of 5s on the first role is $(1/6) (x+y)$, and the expected number of 6s is also $(1/6)(x+y)$. The expected number of 5s or 6s on the second role is $(2/6)(1/6)(x+y)$. So the expected total score is $((2)(1/6)(x+y) + (2/6)(1/6)(x+y) = (7/18)(x+y)$.

The first one is correct, but the second one can be infinetly continued. The 6s on the second role can be reroled again. And the 6s that come up again, and again... .

My main problem is that i don't know how to express 2/6*(x+y) + 2/6*1/6*(x+y) + 2/6*1/6*1/6*(x+y) + ... correctly.

zweilinkehaende said:
The first one is correct, but the second one can be infinetly continued. The 6s on the second role can be reroled again. And the 6s that come up again, and again... .

My main problem is that i don't know how to express 2/6*(x+y) + 2/6*1/6*(x+y) + 2/6*1/6*1/6*(x+y) + ... correctly.

It seems to me that you're only supposed to reroll once...
Anyway, what you have there is a so called geometric series.
In general we have:
$$a + ar + ar^2 + ... = \frac{a}{1-r}$$
So:
$$\frac 26 \cdot (x+y) + \frac 26\cdot \frac 16\cdot (x+y) + \frac 26\cdot \frac 16\cdot \frac 16\cdot (x+y) + ...
= \frac{\frac 26\cdot(x+y)}{1-\frac 16} = \frac 25 (x+y)$$

1. What are "More complex dice rolls"?

"More complex dice rolls" refer to dice rolls that involve more than just the standard six-sided die. This can include using multiple dice of different shapes or sizes, as well as incorporating other elements such as modifiers or special rules.

2. Why would someone use more complex dice rolls instead of just a standard six-sided die?

Using more complex dice rolls can add variety and excitement to tabletop games and simulations. It can also provide a greater range of possible outcomes and make the game more strategic and challenging.

3. Are there specific formulas or rules for determining outcomes in more complex dice rolls?

Yes, there are often specific rules or formulas for determining outcomes in more complex dice rolls. These can vary depending on the game or simulation being played and may involve combinations, probabilities, or other mathematical calculations.

4. Can more complex dice rolls be used for scientific experiments or simulations?

Yes, more complex dice rolls can be used in scientific experiments or simulations as a way to introduce randomness and variability into the results. This can help researchers test hypotheses or simulate real-world scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations to using more complex dice rolls?

As with any type of randomization, there are limitations to using more complex dice rolls. These can include potential biases, difficulty in accurately replicating the same results, and the need for careful design and analysis in scientific experiments or simulations.