How Can I Prove the Limit of a Product Equals Zero with an Undefined Limit?

• Thread starter ptolema
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the problem is to prove that if the limit of g(x) as x approaches 0 is 0, then the limit of g(x)sin(1/x) as x approaches 0 is also 0. The solution involves using the squeeze theorem and the fact that the sine function is bounded to show that the limit of g(x)sin(1/x) is also 0. The initial attempt at a solution using the product rule for limits is erroneous, and an epsilon-delta proof or a theorem about limits of bounded functions can also be used to prove the statement.
ptolema

Homework Statement

the problem is: prove that if lim x-->0 g(x)=0, then lim x-->0 g(x)sin(1/x)=0. it seems simple enough, but certain parts have me wondering.

Homework Equations

so i already know that lim x-->0 sin(1/x) is undefined because the function oscillates near 0. I'm not really sure how to incorporate that without just stating it, though. also, how do i show the effect of lim x-->0 g(x)=0? if a limit is undefined, does it not exist?

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not sure if this is completely erroneous but my tentative solution is the following:
if lim x-->0 g(x)=0, lim x-->0 g(x)sin(1/x) = [lim x-->0 g(x)]*[lim x-->0 sin(1/x)]= 0*lim x-->0 sin(1/x)
since a number times 0 equals 0, it follows that lim x-->0 g(x)sin(1/x) = 0.

please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ptolema said:
i'm not sure if this is completely erroneous but my tentative solution is the following:
if lim x-->0 g(x)=0, lim x-->0 g(x)sin(1/x) = [lim x-->0 g(x)]*[lim x-->0 sin(1/x)]= 0*lim x-->0 sin(1/x)
since a number times 0 equals 0, it follows that lim x-->0 g(x)sin(1/x) = 0.

This argument is erroneous since [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \sin \frac{1}{x}[/itex] is not a number, and furthermore the limit of the product is not the product of the limits of the factors unless the limits of the factors both exist.
Since the second limit does not exist, you will have to perform an epsilon-delta proof of the statement, or use a theorem about limits of bounded functions.

would i start off showing the epsilon-delta proof of lim x-->0 g(x)=0, or of lim x-->0 g(x)sin(1/x) = 0? since lim x-->0 sin(1/x) DNE, it doesn't have an applicable epsilon-delta form, so how can i include it in an epsilon-delta proof?

Have you tried the squeeze theorem?

how would squeeze theorem apply? i don't know if g(x)[tex]\leq[/tex]g(x)sin(1/x) or any of the other conditions for squeeze theorem.

edit:
ah, i see now. squeeze theorem can be used because i know the range of the sine function. that definitely clears things up, as i already proved the theorem earlier. thanks for the help!

Last edited:
The sine function is bounded.
[tex] -1 \leq sin(1/x) \leq 1[/tex]

Now incorporate g(x).

1. What is a proof?

A proof is a logical and step-by-step explanation that demonstrates the truth of a statement or theorem.

2. How do I start writing a proof?

The first step in writing a proof is to clearly state the statement or theorem you are trying to prove. Then, begin by making a list of known information and assumptions that can be used to support your proof.

3. What is the importance of a proof?

Proofs are essential in mathematics and science as they provide evidence and support for the validity of a statement or theorem. They also help to identify any errors in reasoning or assumptions.

4. How do I know if my proof is correct?

To ensure the correctness of a proof, it is important to follow a logical and organized approach. Additionally, you can check your proof by re-reading it and looking for any errors or inconsistencies.

5. What should I do if I get stuck while writing a proof?

If you are stuck while writing a proof, take a step back and review the information you have. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or colleague who can provide a fresh perspective and offer suggestions for approaching the problem.