How can I show the sun rotates?

In summary: So in this particular case, the sun has angular momentum around its own axis and also has angular momentum around the centre of the solar system because the sun is orbiting around the centre of mass of the solar system.
SecretSnow
Hi guys, can I say that since the sun orbits around the centre of mass of the solar system, it has angular momentum L=mvr. And since L=Iw, the sun itself will rotate about its own axis. Am I right to say that? However, conceptually speaking, is there a reason why the sun rotates?

Also, what is the purpose of the direction of angular momentum? Is it just mainly used in conservation of angular momentum? I don't understand the real application of its direction.

One very important qns when it comes to flywheel and angular momentum. I've searched for a video on YouTube and it says the angular momentum due to the torque of the weight of the fly wheel which makes it rotate vertically, is smaller than the angular momentum of the spinning flywheel, and hence it does not rotate like its dropping down that fast when it is spinning, which is what is called precession. Is this true? Why would a larger angular momentum take precedence in the overall motion? Isn't it the same as x-y 2D trajectory motion?? Thanks a lot people!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it does NOT follow that since an object orbits around some point that it must also rotate around its own axis. The two are not at all connected.

HallsofIvy said:
No, it does NOT follow that since an object orbits around some point that it must also rotate around its own axis. The two are not at all connected.

Why are they not connected? In other cases, however, can I use mvr=Iw this relationship? Because generally speaking, is this relationship true?

Anyway, is there no explanation why the sun rotates? It just does so?

Oh wait I noticed my error. The mvr=Iw applies to only to body's angular momentum when rotating by itself and r is the distance to cm from point.

I can provide some information and explanations about the sun's rotation and how it relates to angular momentum.

Firstly, yes, your understanding is correct. The sun does indeed have angular momentum due to its orbital motion around the center of mass of the solar system. This angular momentum causes the sun to rotate about its own axis, just like a spinning top or a figure skater pulling in their arms to spin faster.

The reason for the sun's rotation is related to how it formed. The sun and the entire solar system formed from a collapsing cloud of gas and dust. As this cloud collapsed, it began to spin faster and faster due to conservation of angular momentum. This spinning motion is what ultimately formed the sun and the planets.

The direction of angular momentum is an important concept in physics and has several applications. One of the main uses is in conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This concept is used in everything from understanding the motion of planets and stars to designing spacecraft and satellites.

Regarding the flywheel and precession, your understanding is also correct. The angular momentum of the spinning flywheel is greater than the angular momentum due to the torque from the weight, causing it to precess (or rotate) around a central axis instead of just falling straight down. This is due to the principle of conservation of angular momentum, where the total angular momentum of the system remains constant.

In terms of 2D trajectory motion, the concept of angular momentum still applies, but it may not be as obvious as in the case of a spinning object. In general, the larger the angular momentum, the more difficult it is to change the direction of motion. This can be seen in the example of a spinning top, where the faster it spins, the more stable it is and the harder it is to knock it over.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions about angular momentum and the sun's rotation. Keep exploring and asking questions!

What is the evidence that the sun rotates?

The most compelling evidence that the sun rotates can be observed through sunspots, which move across the sun's surface as it rotates. This phenomenon was first observed by Galileo in the 17th century.

How fast does the sun rotate?

The sun's equator rotates faster than its polar regions, completing one rotation every 24.47 days. This is known as differential rotation and is similar to how the Earth's equator rotates faster than its poles.

How can I observe the sun's rotation without special equipment?

By observing sunspots over a period of several days, one can see that they move and change position as the sun rotates. This can be done using a simple pinhole camera or by projecting the sun's image onto a piece of paper.

What is the cause of the sun's rotation?

The sun's rotation is caused by the conservation of angular momentum during its formation. As the sun's protoplanetary disk collapsed, its rotational speed increased due to the conservation of angular momentum, resulting in its current rotation rate.

Can the sun's rotation change over time?

Yes, the sun's rotation rate can change over time due to various factors such as the movement of its interior materials, the influence of other planets, and the effects of solar activity. However, these changes are very slow and difficult to detect.