How Can I Start Research in Physics with No Experience?

In summary, the individual asking for help does not provide enough information for anyone to assist them. They are a student of physics with a master's degree from a university in Pakistan and are interested in publishing a paper in the fields of electronics, solid state, and atomic research. They are in need of guidance and a mentor to help them understand the process of writing a manuscript and publishing in the scientific community. They are also interested in pursuing a career in academia and will have opportunities to publish during their PhD and postdoc stages. However, if they choose a career outside of academia, practical experience may be more valuable. They are advised to research and find active research groups for potential PhD opportunities and note the last time they have published. Additionally, the
Imtiaz Ahmad
I have no research work in physics but i want please help me what i do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imtiaz Ahmad said:
i want please help me what i do?
Then struggle for it.

Imtiaz,

You have to give people more information if you expect someone to help you. What is your background? Are you a high school student? A graduate student trying to decide on a project? What kind of research are you interested in in?

Likes Imtiaz Ahmad
Choppy said:
Imtiaz,

You have to give people more information if you expect someone to help you. What is your background? Are you a high school student? A graduate student trying to decide on a project? What kind of research are you interested in in?
i'm student of physics and master in physics from pakistan university and i want to publish a paper, I'm interested in electronics, solid state and atomic

Are you currently working on a master's degree? If so, then this is something that you need to discuss with your supervisor.

Normally, you write a manuscript when you have brought a project to a point where you have something significant to share with the community of other scientists who are working on that project. For most inexperienced students the details of the process are difficult to grasp, which is why you normally start out with a mentor (supervisor) to guide you through it.

If you're not a student - eg. you have finished your master's degree and you're looking to add a publication or two to your CV, it would still help tremendously to have a mentor guide you through the process, so you should look for opportunities to do research with someone. I know that's not easy.

Choppy said:
Are you currently working on a master's degree? If so, then this is something that you need to discuss with your supervisor.

Normally, you write a manuscript when you have brought a project to a point where you have something significant to share with the community of other scientists who are working on that project. For most inexperienced students the details of the process are difficult to grasp, which is why you normally start out with a mentor (supervisor) to guide you through it.

If you're not a student - eg. you have finished your master's degree and you're looking to add a publication or two to your CV, it would still help tremendously to have a mentor guide you through the process, so you should look for opportunities to do research with someone. I know that's not easy.
i finish my degree

In my environment, the earliest academic stage in which you can have an opportunity for scientific publication is by the end of your master degree. So, not being able to publish in your current state is not a big trouble. But having passion and ambition is also important.
However, the number of publications is actually also to be measured with your long term goal. Active engagement in researches, which is officially documented in the published papers, is definitely important when one aims to find a position in academia, either in university or research labs. On the other hand, if one wants to pursue carrier in companies or any other commercial oriented establishments, the working experience like practicum is valued more in front of the employers. So, in the end it depends on which carrier path you are going to pursue.
My advice in case you want to go to academia, you can still have plenty of time to do researches and publish it in PhD and postdoc afterwards. These two stages typically take at least 5 years in total. In finding destination for PhDs, try to find research groups which actively do researches, e.g. find in their website when was the last time they published - did they publish at all in the last 2 years?. I don't know it is in Pakistan in that regard, you know more than us about it.

Likes Imtiaz Ahmad
in pakistan those websites open only in universities

Imtiaz Ahmad said:
in pakistan those websites open only in universities
Do you mean only those who are connected to the intranet of the university can access the university's website? The university's website are not open for public?

yes

yes

Related to How Can I Start Research in Physics with No Experience?

1. What is the purpose of researching physics?

The purpose of researching physics is to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world. This knowledge can then be applied to various fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine.

2. What are the different types of research in physics?

There are two main types of research in physics: experimental and theoretical. Experimental research involves designing and conducting experiments to observe and measure physical phenomena. Theoretical research involves using mathematical models and theories to explain and predict physical phenomena.

3. How do I get started with researching physics?

To get started with researching physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science, particularly in calculus and mechanics. You can also start by familiarizing yourself with current research and literature in the field, and seeking out opportunities to work with experienced researchers or in a research lab.

4. What are some common challenges in researching physics?

Some common challenges in researching physics include designing and conducting experiments with precision and accuracy, analyzing large amounts of data, and understanding complex mathematical concepts and theories. Additionally, researchers may face challenges in securing funding and resources for their projects.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest research in physics?

To stay updated on the latest research in physics, you can attend conferences and seminars, read scientific journals and publications, and follow reputable physics institutions and researchers on social media. It is also important to actively engage in discussions and collaborations with other researchers in the field.