How can I use the covariant derivative to derive the Riemann curvature tensor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation that was derived, and how it relates to the Riemann tensor. The equation is sometimes used as the definition of the Riemann tensor, and it is suggested to use the defining equation and act on it with covariant derivatives to obtain an identity with double covariant derivatives. This can then be manipulated using symmetries of the Riemann tensor to arrive at the final equation.
e-pie
Homework Statement
If $$A_i$$ is a covariant vector such that $$A_{i,j}+A_{j,i}=0$$, show that $$A_{i,jk}=-A_rR^r_{kij}$$ where $$R^r_{kij}$$ is the Riemann curvature tensor.
Relevant Equations
See below.
I derived this equation $$
A_{i,jk}-A_{i,kj}=R^r _{kij}A_r$$.But where do I use this $$A_{i,j}+A_{j,i}=0$$?

Physics news on Phys.org
In your equation, I assume you use commas to represent covariant derivative(semicolon is usually used for that, while comma indicates a normal partial derivative).

The equation you derived is sometimes used as the definition of Riemann tensor(holds for every vector field). So you're still long way to go from deriving the final identity.

First idea would be to pick the defining equation##A_{i;j} + A_{j;i} = 0## and act on it with covariant derivative. That way you'd obtain an identity with double covariant derivatives. Relabeling indices circularly, you'll get equivalent identities which you can then sum(or subtract) to obtain more useful identity.

From there on you use the equation you derived, along with symmetries of Riemann tensor to arrive at the final equation. The derivation is not too long, but requires multiple steps which are not very straightforward(or it wasn't for me when I first derived it), but hopefully this hint will set you on the path to get it right.

Related to How can I use the covariant derivative to derive the Riemann curvature tensor?

1. What is the Riemann curvature tensor?

The Riemann curvature tensor is a mathematical object used to describe the curvature of a space, such as a manifold or a higher-dimensional space. It is a measure of how the space is curved at a specific point and in a specific direction.

2. How is the Riemann curvature tensor calculated?

The Riemann curvature tensor is calculated using the partial derivatives of the Christoffel symbols, which are themselves calculated using the metric tensor. The calculation involves multiple steps and is quite complex, but it ultimately results in a set of numbers that describe the curvature of the space.

3. What does the Riemann curvature tensor tell us about a space?

The Riemann curvature tensor provides information about the curvature of a space, such as whether it is flat or curved, and if it is curved, the direction and magnitude of the curvature. It is a fundamental quantity in the field of differential geometry and is used to study the properties of space and the behavior of objects moving through that space.

4. What is the significance of the Riemann curvature tensor in physics?

The Riemann curvature tensor plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the relationship between gravity and the curvature of space-time. In this theory, the Riemann curvature tensor is used to calculate the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of massive objects, such as planets and stars.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Riemann curvature tensor?

Yes, the Riemann curvature tensor has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to study the behavior of objects in curved spaces, model the behavior of light in gravitational fields, and create realistic 3D graphics for video games and simulations.