How can i use the Solve function to find the actual equation for a

• Thread starter peter.a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the Solve function can be used to find the actual equation for a fixed point in a given function. It takes in an equation and a variable as input and can also handle multivariate solutions. The use of the input variable, denoted by u_, and the evaluation function, denoted by :=, are also explained. A correction is made regarding the use of f[f[u]] == u instead of f[u] == u, which may also give complex solutions.
peter.a
How can i use the Solve function to find the actual equation for a fixed point?
For the function f(x)=ur(1-u)

Physics news on Phys.org

f[u_] := u r (1 - u)
Solve[f[f] == u, u]

the u_ means to use it as an input variable, the " := " means not to evaluate it until its used. So i just nested it once, f[f] == u should be the equation for a fixed point of f.
Solve[EQUATION,VARIABLE] is its use.

or SOLVE[{EQ1,EQ2},{V1,V2}] for multivariate solutions.

I assume "u" was the variable in this case as f(x) = u r (1- u) has no x in it.

why have you done f[f==u and not f==u?
is this because then it also gives the complex solutions?

Ah that was a mistake. I was thinking of attractive fixed point functions.

Yeah Solve[f==u,u] should be enough. It will give all solutions, include any complex ones.

Thanks for clearing that up, because i was getting confused

Related to How can i use the Solve function to find the actual equation for a

1. How does the Solve function work?

The Solve function is a mathematical tool that allows you to find the solutions to equations. It works by rearranging the given equation and solving for the variable you specify. This is done by applying algebraic operations until the variable is isolated on one side of the equation.

2. Can the Solve function be used for any type of equation?

Yes, the Solve function can be used for any type of equation, as long as it can be rearranged to isolate the variable you are solving for. This includes linear, quadratic, exponential, and many other types of equations.

3. How do I input an equation into the Solve function?

The Solve function can be accessed through various mathematical software such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Excel. You can input the equation in the form of a string or using the appropriate syntax for the software you are using. Make sure to specify the variable you want to solve for.

4. What if the equation has multiple solutions?

If the equation has multiple solutions, the Solve function will return all of them. Depending on the software you are using, the solutions may be displayed in a list or as a set of numbers. It is important to check all the solutions to ensure you have found the correct one.

5. Is the solution given by the Solve function always accurate?

Yes, the solution given by the Solve function is always accurate. However, it is important to keep in mind that the accuracy of the solution depends on the accuracy of the input equation. If the equation is not accurate, the solution will also not be accurate.