Understanding Electrical Safety: The Role of Grounding in Circuit Protection

In summary: So it is important to have a good earth connection.In summary, a lamp was sprayed with cleaning solution and when the light switch was turned on, the LEDs turned on and discharged the capacitor. This caused the light to blink. The lamp was taken apart and the voltage distribution center was wet. The protective ground was not referenced to the protective ground and the lamp got a small current from the earth.
Svein
Science Advisor
Insights Author
To begin: This is not a question, but an anecdote.

The other day my wife called to me from the floor above: "Svein, there is no light". OK, I checked the fuses, and sure enough one fuse had tripped. I resat it, only to hear "Svein, it is blinking!". I went up to see what she meant by that and, sure enough, one ceiling light was blinking like a distress signal. "OK" I said. "Turn it off, and I will take a look". "It is turned off, but it still blinks!" So I disconnected the lamp and started trying to find out what had happened. It turned out that she had sprayed the lamp with a cleaning solution in order to clean it for Christmas.

Thinking about it, I arrived at a conclusion. Soapy water plus dust makes a high impedance resistor. The metal in the lamp was grounded. The light switch was a one-pole type, so one lead was "live". Thus the LEDs were able to draw a small current. This current apparently charged a capacitor in the LEDs and when the capacitor voltage passed a threshold, the LEDs turned on and promptly discharged the capacitor. After this behavior had gone on for a minute, the RCD tripped and the whole floor went dark.

I took the lamp apart and saw that the voltage distribution center was fairly wet (as I had suspected). Worse, the guys in the lamp factory had obviously discovered some bad insulation somewhere and had wrapped the distribution points in electrical tape. When I touched the tape, it promptly fell off. Some strong language followed, but I fetched some shrink tubing and a heat gun, dried out the thing and put shrink tubing over the wires. Case closed.

Likes Guineafowl, Charles Link and Asymptotic
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nice! She may be telling you that she wants YOU to clean the lights in a subtle way. :-)

Likes anorlunda
A similar thing can happen when you use a CFL/LED on a dusk/dawn switch or timer intended only for filament bulbs. The electronic switch has a bit of leakage, charging the cap as you describe, and the light flashes on briefly, and cycles again when the cap can charge up.

Maybe spray onto the cloth, then wipe the lamp, rather than soaking the lamp?!

It was an earthed/grounded lamp, so shouldn’t the plug be polarised, hence truly ‘off’? Or was it capacitive coupling from the neutral?

Guineafowl said:
It was an earthed/grounded lamp, so shouldn’t the plug be polarised, hence truly ‘off’? Or was it capacitive coupling from the neutral?
Well, as I have said in various posts, Norway's traditional power distribution does not include "neutral". It is a "delta" distribution:
3phase_delta.gif

The "ground" is not a part of the distribution, it is named "protective ground" and it is connected to "earth" at the base of the house. This ground is theoretically at the center of the delta, but in practice it may be quite off center electrically. Anyhow, it is quite possible to draw some small current between either phase and "protective ground". And, since no phase is more "neutral" than others, all wires are "live" (that is why double pole light switches are mandatory in "wet" rooms and outside lights).

Attachments

• 3phase_delta.gif
    3phase_delta.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 898
Svein said:
Well, as I have said in various posts, Norway's traditional power distribution does not include "neutral". It is a "delta" distribution:
View attachment 217180
The "ground" is not a part of the distribution, it is named "protective ground" and it is connected to "earth" at the base of the house. This ground is theoretically at the center of the delta, but in practice it may be quite off center electrically. Anyhow, it is quite possible to draw some small current between either phase and "protective ground". And, since no phase is more "neutral" than others, all wires are "live" (that is why double pole light switches are mandatory in "wet" rooms and outside lights).
Ah, I didn’t know that. But how is the protective ground part of the circuit? The three phases off the delta look like they are not referenced to it. How does a fault current get back to the supply?

Guineafowl said:
Ah, I didn’t know that. But how is the protective ground part of the circuit? The three phases off the delta look like they are not referenced to it. How does a fault current get back to the supply?
Through the earth. But due to the geology in Norway the "earth" does not conduct very well, so even a small ground current can create a large voltage drop between the supplier and the ground fault.

Likes krater and Guineafowl

1. Why do my LED bulbs flicker?

LED bulbs can flicker due to a few different reasons. One common cause is a loose connection between the bulb and the fixture. Another possible reason is that the dimmer switch being used is not compatible with LED bulbs. Additionally, if the LED bulb is of poor quality, it may flicker due to uneven power distribution.

2. Why do my LED bulbs change color?

LED bulbs can change color due to a phenomenon known as "color temperature shift." This occurs when the temperature of the LED bulb changes, causing the color to appear warmer or cooler. Other factors that can contribute to color changes include the type of dimmer switch being used and the quality of the LED bulb itself.

3. Why do my LED bulbs make a buzzing noise?

LED bulbs can make a buzzing noise due to a few different reasons. One common cause is a loose connection between the bulb and the fixture. Another possible reason is that the LED bulb is not compatible with the dimmer switch being used. Additionally, if the LED bulb is of poor quality, it may make a buzzing noise due to uneven power distribution.

4. Why do my LED bulbs burn out quickly?

LED bulbs can burn out quickly if they are of poor quality or if they are not properly installed. It is important to make sure that the LED bulb is compatible with the fixture and that it is not being used with a dimmer switch that is not compatible. Additionally, if the LED bulb is not receiving the correct amount of voltage, it can cause it to burn out quickly.

5. Why do my LED bulbs not turn on or stay on?

LED bulbs may not turn on or stay on due to a few different reasons. One common cause is a loose connection between the bulb and the fixture. Another possible reason is that the LED bulb is not receiving the correct amount of voltage. Additionally, if the LED bulb is of poor quality, it may not turn on or stay on due to uneven power distribution.