How can multiple entangled Qubits be represented and visualized?

In summary, if one Qubit is represented on a Bloch sphere, 2 Qubits would be represented on 2 Bloch spheres, but it is not clear that this is the case for more than 2 entangled Qubits.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
One Qubit can be represented on the Bloch sphere. How would multiple entangled Qubits (say 2 or 3) be represented? Classically, one would think that if one Qubit is represented on a Bloch sphere, 2 Qubits would be represented on 2 Bloch spheres, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work this way.

I believe it takes 2 complex numbers to represent one Qubit, ##\alpha_0 |0> + \alpha_1 |1>##, where the ##\alpha_a## are complex numbers, and this winds up maps to the 2-sphere because SU(2) is a double cover of SO(3). It takes 4 complex numbers to represent 2 (entangled) Qubits, and 8 complex numbers to represent 3 (entangled) Qubits, i.e. for the last case, ##\alpha_0 |000> + \alpha_1 |001> + ... \alpha_7 |111>##. So it I don't think 3 Bloch spheres can possibly represent 3 entangled Qubits, as it doesn't seem like there are enough degrees of freedom. Is there a reasonably simple geometric figure of higher dimension that can? Or some other way to represent or visualize 3 Qubits?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several ways of representing the space of quantum states by some geometric object and this topic can lead one into some deep algebraic geometry. A great book for this kind of thing is:
I. Bengtsson and K. Życzkowski, Geometry of Quantum States 2nd Edition, Cambridge University Press, Cam-
bridge, 2017

• Informative
Likes vanhees71
To give you an example, a density matrix in ##\mathbb{C}^{n}## can be written using the generators of ##SU(N)## as:
##\rho = \frac{1}{N}\mathbb{I} + \sum_{i}^{N^2 - 1}\tau_{i}\sigma_{i}##
and the ##\tau_{i}## give the coordinates of your state in a generalised Bloch space. Pure states are then picked out by the condition:
$$
\begin{align*}
\tau^{2} &= \frac{N - 1}{2N}\\\\
\left(\vec{\tau}\star\vec{\tau}\right)_{i} &= \frac{N-2}{N}\tau_{i}
\end{align*}
$$
So the first condition tells you the pure states lie on a sphere of dimension ##N^{2} - 2## and the second condition states they lie on a subset of that sphere that form the complex projective space ##\mathbb{CP}^{N - 1}##.

Your question is just the case ##N = 2^{m}, m \in \mathbb{N}##.

There are several other representations besides this Lie Algebra one and you led into questions like what is the geometric characterisation of the space of entangled, discordant and so on states in each representation. Very quickly you find links to major theorems in algebraic geometry and even one of Hilbert's open problems.

1. How are multiple entangled qubits represented in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, multiple entangled qubits are represented using a mathematical notation called a quantum state vector. This vector contains a combination of numbers that represent the probabilities of each possible state of the qubits. For example, a two-qubit system would have four numbers in its state vector, representing the probabilities of the four possible combinations of states for the two qubits.

2. Can multiple entangled qubits be visualized?

Yes, multiple entangled qubits can be visualized using a graphical representation called a Bloch sphere. This sphere represents the quantum state of a single qubit, and multiple qubits can be represented by multiple Bloch spheres connected together. The orientation of the Bloch spheres indicates the probabilities of each state, and the connections between them represent the entanglement between the qubits.

3. How is the entanglement between multiple qubits measured?

The entanglement between multiple qubits can be measured using a variety of methods, such as quantum state tomography, Bell inequality tests, or entanglement entropy. These methods involve performing measurements on the qubits and comparing the results to the expected outcomes based on the entangled state of the qubits.

4. Are there any limitations to representing and visualizing multiple entangled qubits?

Yes, there are limitations to representing and visualizing multiple entangled qubits. As the number of qubits increases, the complexity of the quantum state vector and the Bloch sphere representation also increases. This makes it difficult to visualize and manipulate the qubits, and requires advanced mathematical and computational techniques.

5. How does the visualization of multiple entangled qubits aid in understanding quantum computing?

The visualization of multiple entangled qubits helps in understanding quantum computing by providing a visual representation of the complex quantum states and entanglement between qubits. This can aid in understanding the principles of superposition and entanglement, and how they are utilized in quantum algorithms and computations. It also allows for the identification of errors and the optimization of quantum circuits, leading to advancements in quantum computing technology.