How can we measure the wavelength of gamma-rays?

In summary, measuring the wavelength of gamma-rays, say for about 0.7MeV, can be done by measuring the energy and calculating the wavelength or frequency.
avicenna
How can we experimentally measure the wavelength of gamma-rays, say for about 0.7MeV?
Can it be done without gamma-ray spectrometry?

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't measure wavelengths. We measure energies. If we want wavelength (and why?) we calculate it.

avicenna said:
How can we experimentally measure the wavelength of gamma-rays, say for about 0.7MeV?
Can it be done without gamma-ray spectrometry?
What wavelength does one calculate from the stated energy?

Bristol Instruments provides instruments to measure wavelength using interferometry, but the instruments are limited to light with wavelengths of 375 nm.
https://www.bristol-inst.com/bristol-instruments-products/wavelength-meters-scientific/

Otherwise, as V50 indicated we measure energy and calculate wavelength or frequency.

Likes vanhees71
I am confused by these answers. What then does Bragg diffraction of X-rays from a crystal measure?

It gives direct wavelength measurements in the x-ray range, but I doubt this will give useful results at 700 keV.

Measuring the energy and calculating the wavelength will be better.

Likes vanhees71
Yes it certainly is easier. I am undecided as to whether that is actually a measurement of wavelength It is a measurement of energy from which wavelength may be inferred. This is largely a semantic point I guess (but not entirely so?) I guess all measurement requires a chain of inference.
As a practical matter it looks like the limit is indeed about 300keV photons for doing useful crystalline diffraction (this is my cursory literature search).

hutchphd said:
I am confused by these answers. What then does Bragg diffraction of X-rays from a crystal measure?
I thought of Bragg diffraction, but 'measuring' the wavelength requires 'knowing' the distance between atoms in crystal. How does one 'know' or 'measure' the distance between atoms? X-ray diffraction.

Here is a paper that indicates "Measurement of X-ray spectral line wavelengths by using two Bragg reflections"
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0895399690900079

The term 'measuring' is important, in contrast to 'determining'. For example, we can measure distance or displacement, but we do not measure stress. Stress is calculated.

Astronuc said:
How does one 'know' or 'measure' the distance between atoms? X-ray diffraction.
Or atomic force microscopy, these days. By far less precise than x-ray diffraction of course.
You can also measure it using interference with visible light (at large incidence angles), relating the x-ray wavelength to a measurement of visible light wavelengths that can be done with other methods.

mfb said:
Or atomic force microscopy, . . .
I thought about AFM, but wasn't sure. I'm curious about the resolution. I could not find a definitive statement, other than noise on the order of 10s of pm. A 1 MeV gamma ray has a wavelength of ~1.24 pm (~0.00124 nm), so diffraction methods are too coarse. Atomic radii of most atoms are on the order of 100 pm, and lattice constants slightly larger.

We're going far afield from the original question.

You can calibrate the x-ray wavelength from diffracation without being circular. You use x-ray diffraction to get the crystal structure - you don't need the spacing here, just the pattern. From the density and the atomic weight plus the crystal structure you get the atomic spacing. From the atomic spacing and the diffraction pattern you can get the wavelength.

Likes Astronuc, hutchphd and mfb
Astronuc said:
I thought about AFM, but wasn't sure. I'm curious about the resolution. I could not find a definitive statement, other than noise on the order of 10s of pm. A 1 MeV gamma ray has a wavelength of ~1.24 pm (~0.00124 nm), so diffraction methods are too coarse. Atomic radii of most atoms are on the order of 100 pm, and lattice constants slightly larger.
You gain a lot from the angle. If you can determine the height of a layer to be e.g. 100 pm +- 3 pm your relative uncertainty on the wavelength from the lattice constant will just be 3%, even if you measure wavelengths below 10 pm because the diffraction angle is small. But, as V50 noted, you can also measure the mass of an atom and the mass of a macroscopic object.

Likes Astronuc

1. How do we measure the wavelength of gamma-rays?

The wavelength of gamma-rays can be measured using a technique called spectroscopy. This involves passing the gamma-rays through a diffraction grating, which separates the different wavelengths of light. The resulting spectrum can then be analyzed to determine the wavelength of the gamma-rays.

2. What equipment is needed to measure the wavelength of gamma-rays?

To measure the wavelength of gamma-rays, specialized equipment such as a gamma-ray spectrometer or a scintillation detector is required. These devices are designed to accurately detect and measure the energy of gamma-rays.

3. Can we measure the wavelength of gamma-rays with a ruler or measuring tape?

No, a ruler or measuring tape is not suitable for measuring the wavelength of gamma-rays. Gamma-rays have a very short wavelength, typically in the range of 0.01 to 10 nanometers, which is much smaller than the smallest markings on a ruler or measuring tape.

4. How accurate is the measurement of the wavelength of gamma-rays?

The accuracy of measuring the wavelength of gamma-rays depends on the precision of the equipment used. With advanced spectroscopic techniques, it is possible to measure the wavelength of gamma-rays with an accuracy of a few nanometers.

5. What is the importance of measuring the wavelength of gamma-rays?

Measuring the wavelength of gamma-rays is crucial for understanding their properties and behavior. It allows scientists to identify the source and energy of gamma-rays, which can provide valuable information about the processes occurring in the universe, such as nuclear reactions and high-energy astrophysical phenomena.