How can we prove that a Pythagorean triple is primitive?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poirot1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primitive
In summary, to show that (a^2-b^2,2ab,a^2+b^2) is a primitive Pythagorean triple, we must prove that the numbers a and b are relatively prime and of opposite parity. This can be done through a contradiction argument, assuming that the triple has a common factor and using prime factorization to show that this is impossible.
Poirot1
I know that (a^2-b^2,2ab,a^2+b^2) is pythagorean triple. How to show it is primitive? i.e
gcd(x,y,z)=1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: primitive pythagorean triple

Hello, Poirot!

I know that (x,y,z) = (a2 - b2, 2ab, a2 + b2) is a Pythagorean triple.

How to show it is primitive? .i.e. gcd(x,y,z) = 1

I'm not sure how we "show" it, but here is a fact.

For a primitive Pythagorean triple, a and b must be of opposite parity.
. . (One must be even, the other must be odd.)

Poirot said:
I know that (a^2-b^2,2ab,a^2+b^2) is pythagorean triple. How to show it is primitive? i.e
gcd(x,y,z)=1
The conditions for the triple to be primitive are that gcd(a,b)=1 and a, b are of opposite parity. See Pythagorean triple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I'm pretty sure a contradiction argument is expedient.

assume x,y,z have a common factor d not equal to 1.
Since everything can be factorized into primes can I assume d is prime?

To show that a Pythagorean triple is primitive, we need to show that the greatest common divisor (gcd) of the three numbers, x, y, and z, is equal to 1. This means that there are no common factors between the three numbers, making it the simplest form of the triple.

In the case of the Pythagorean triple (a^2-b^2,2ab,a^2+b^2), we can use the fact that the greatest common divisor of two numbers is equal to the greatest common divisor of their difference. This means that gcd(a^2-b^2, 2ab) = gcd(a-b, b) = gcd(a, b).

Since a and b are relatively prime (i.e. they have no common factors), gcd(a, b) = 1. Therefore, gcd(a^2-b^2, 2ab) = 1. We can also see that gcd(a^2+b^2, 2ab) = gcd(a+b, b) = gcd(a, b) = 1.

Finally, we can conclude that gcd(a^2-b^2,2ab,a^2+b^2) = gcd(gcd(a^2-b^2, 2ab), a^2+b^2) = gcd(1, 1) = 1. This shows that the Pythagorean triple (a^2-b^2,2ab,a^2+b^2) is primitive.

Related to How can we prove that a Pythagorean triple is primitive?

1. What is a Primitive Pythagorean triple?

A Primitive Pythagorean triple is a set of three positive integers (a, b, c) that satisfy the Pythagorean theorem, a^2 + b^2 = c^2, and where a, b, and c have no common factors. This means that the three numbers are relatively prime.

2. How do you find a Primitive Pythagorean triple?

One way to find a Primitive Pythagorean triple is to use the formula (m^2 - n^2, 2mn, m^2 + n^2), where m and n are positive integers and m > n. This formula will generate a Primitive Pythagorean triple for any values of m and n that satisfy the conditions.

3. Can a Primitive Pythagorean triple be negative?

No, by definition, a Primitive Pythagorean triple consists of positive integers. Therefore, negative numbers cannot be part of a Primitive Pythagorean triple.

4. Are all Pythagorean triples also Primitive Pythagorean triples?

No, not all Pythagorean triples are Primitive Pythagorean triples. A Pythagorean triple can have common factors, whereas a Primitive Pythagorean triple cannot.

5. What is the significance of the term "primitive" in Primitive Pythagorean triple?

The term "primitive" refers to the fact that the three numbers in a Primitive Pythagorean triple are relatively prime, meaning they have no common factors. This is important because it allows for the unique properties and applications of Primitive Pythagorean triples in mathematics and science.