How can we prove that \frac{x-1}{x-2} < 1 for x < 0?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
doubleaxel195
Messages
46
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I just want to show that given x<0, [tex]\frac{x-1}{x-2} <1[/tex].


The Attempt at a Solution



I don't know why I am having trouble with this! I feel like this is so easy!

So if x<0, then we know [tex]x-1<-1, x-2<-2[/tex]. So
[tex]\frac{-1}{2}<\frac{1}{x-2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{x-1}{x-2}<\frac{-1}{x-2}[/tex].

I can't seem to get a good upper bound on [tex]\frac{1}{x-2}[/tex] that makes the entire thing less than one. Am I doing something illegal? Because now it looks like I should want to get[tex]\frac{1}{x-2} <-1[/tex] to make it all less than one, but clearly that is not true.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
doubleaxel195 said:

Homework Statement


I just want to show that given x<0, [tex]\frac{x-1}{x-2} <1[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't know why I am having trouble with this! I feel like this is so easy!

So if x<0, then we know [tex]x-1<-1, x-2<-2[/tex]. So
[tex]\frac{-1}{2}<\frac{1}{x-2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{x-1}{x-2}<\frac{-1}{x-2}[/tex].

I can't seem to get a good upper bound on [tex]\frac{1}{x-2}[/tex] that makes the entire thing less than one. Am I doing something illegal? Because now it looks like I should want to get[tex]\frac{1}{x-2} <-1[/tex] to make it all less than one, but clearly that is not true.
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{x-1}{x-2}=\frac{x-2+1}{x-2}=1+\frac{1}{x-2}[/itex]

Can you show that 1/(x-2) < 0 ?
 
Yes I can. Thank you so much! Was I doing anything illegal or just picking bad bounds? I can't seem to find a mistake in what I was doing before.