How can we prove that \frac{x-1}{x-2} < 1 for x < 0?

In summary, the conversation is about showing that \frac{x-1}{x-2} < 1 given x < 0. The person is having trouble finding a good upper bound for \frac{1}{x-2} that makes the entire expression less than one. However, it is shown that \frac{1}{x-2} < 0, resolving the issue.
doubleaxel195

Homework Statement

I just want to show that given x<0, [tex]\frac{x-1}{x-2} <1[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know why I am having trouble with this! I feel like this is so easy!

So if x<0, then we know [tex]x-1<-1, x-2<-2 [/tex]. So
[tex]\frac{-1}{2}<\frac{1}{x-2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{x-1}{x-2}<\frac{-1}{x-2}[/tex].

I can't seem to get a good upper bound on [tex]\frac{1}{x-2}[/tex] that makes the entire thing less than one. Am I doing something illegal? Because now it looks like I should want to get[tex]\frac{1}{x-2} <-1[/tex] to make it all less than one, but clearly that is not true.

Physics news on Phys.org
doubleaxel195 said:

Homework Statement

I just want to show that given x<0, [tex]\frac{x-1}{x-2} <1[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know why I am having trouble with this! I feel like this is so easy!

So if x<0, then we know [tex]x-1<-1, x-2<-2 [/tex]. So
[tex]\frac{-1}{2}<\frac{1}{x-2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{x-1}{x-2}<\frac{-1}{x-2}[/tex].

I can't seem to get a good upper bound on [tex]\frac{1}{x-2}[/tex] that makes the entire thing less than one. Am I doing something illegal? Because now it looks like I should want to get[tex]\frac{1}{x-2} <-1[/tex] to make it all less than one, but clearly that is not true.
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{x-1}{x-2}=\frac{x-2+1}{x-2}=1+\frac{1}{x-2}[/itex]

Can you show that 1/(x-2) < 0 ?

Yes I can. Thank you so much! Was I doing anything illegal or just picking bad bounds? I can't seem to find a mistake in what I was doing before.

Related to How can we prove that \frac{x-1}{x-2} < 1 for x < 0?

What are inequalities?

Inequalities are mathematical statements that compare two quantities or expressions and indicate that one is greater than, less than, or not equal to the other.

What is the difference between an inequality and an equation?

An inequality compares two quantities or expressions, while an equation shows that two quantities or expressions are equal to each other.

What are the symbols used in inequalities?

The symbols used in inequalities are <, >, ≤, ≥, and ≠. These symbols represent "less than", "greater than", "less than or equal to", "greater than or equal to", and "not equal to", respectively.

What is the difference between strict and non-strict inequalities?

In strict inequalities, the symbols < and > are used, and the values being compared are not included in the solution set. In non-strict inequalities, the symbols ≤ and ≥ are used, and the values being compared are included in the solution set.

How do you solve inequalities?

To solve an inequality, you must isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol and keep the constant on the other side. The solution set will depend on whether the inequality is strict or non-strict.